RT-N16 brcmFmac & brcm-wl trouble

The 'TrickToFixNasParams' network must be the last network. Otherwise, this hack will not work.
You can do it, editing /etc/config/wireless like this:

config wifi-device 'wl0'
        option type 'broadcom'
        option channel '1'
        option txantenna '3'
        option rxantenna '3'
        option country 'BR'
        option frameburst '1'
        option htmode 'HT40'
        option txpower '14'
        option hwmode '11g'

config wifi-iface 'default_wl0'
        option device 'wl0'
        option network 'lan'
        option mode 'ap'
        option wmm '1'
        option ssid 'My SSID'
        option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'
        option key 'mypassword'

config wifi-iface 'wifinet1'
        option device 'wl0'
        option network 'lan'
        option mode 'ap'
        option wmm '1'
        option ssid 'My another SSID'
        option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'
        option key 'mypassword'

config wifi-iface 'wifinet2'
        option device 'wl0'
        option mode 'ap'
        option ssid 'TrickToFixNasParams'
        option encryption 'none'
        option disabled '1'

Using Luci, I think you need remove 'TrickToFixNasParams', and recreate it after create your additional wireless network.
But Luci interface doesn't work to show connections info with broadcom-wl drivers.
The last version that Luci wireless interface worked correctly was Lede-17.01.7.
Using ssh interface, you can get wireless info using iwinfo (replace <iface> by wl0, wl0.1 etc):

iwinfo <iface> assoclist

As the package is proprietary code, it has not been maintained for a long time.
Unfortunately the open source driver for these broadcom chips was basically made using reverse engineering. So they perform much less than proprietary drivers.

Thanks - I'm also tryign to get an old WRT610n v1 to work again. Had an older version of Openwrt on it which did work - (I do recall enabling or building with the wl drivers, but that was several years ago.) I have have loaded 19.07.3, but found that once I remove b43 and load wl, also that luci does not read the wireless settings - but cli wlc/wl/iwinfo show correct
I did notice that wifi status nor ubus call network.wireless status (which I think is what luci calls under the hood to get wireless status) is returning blank/empty.
I suspect this has something to do with netifd, as only with b43 which uses mac80211 scripts like /lib/netifd/wireless/mac80211.sh ?
Anyhow, the strangest part is that I swear as I was messing around with removing b43 and loading wl, at one point I had luci working properly - i.e. it was reading and setting wifi properly with wl driver - I could see it reported 300Mbps and bgn for 2.4ghz wl0, and abgn for 5ghz wl1

But sadly, I'm not sure what state or which firmware (playing around with imagebuilder) I had loaded, or which packages i had removed/added :((

So I'm convinced that there is something not quite right with the broadcom stuff in terms of reporting status (although it's working) - as I understand it, all the custom stuff for this broadcom interaction with wifi, netifd, uci, and in general openwrt is implemented in /lib/wifi/broadcom.sh

but sadly, I still cant see why it's failing to report status - but I'm convinced it's solvable

Ok I spent more time on this today.
Luci + 18.06.8 + wl mostly work. (There is some wonkyness with wl1 and the way you must specify a 5ghz channel, else wl1 will somehow think it's on 2.4G)
(openwrt-18.06.8-brcm47xx-generic-linksys-wrt610n-v1-squashfs.bin)

But for the most part, it will at least show you accurate wireless settings.

But upgrading to 19.07.3 then moving back to wl, luci will not show wireless information.
It seems like this is probably related to changes in the way luci gets/sets wireless (and other) configs.
(I did see that neither wifi status nor ubus call network.wireless status work in earlier versions)

I'm guessing this is fixable if someone were to implement netifd handler script for broadcom (wl) driver, but I'm guessing there is not much support left around for this dead horse :frowning:

1 Like

I think it is a bug.
Luci don't work with broadcom-wl drivers, on last openwrt versions.
But wifi itself works well, after I inserted an additional disabled interface wifi-iface at the end of /etc/config/wireless (RT-N16 brcmFmac & brcm-wl trouble)
I'm working with a netgear wl3500l-v1. It don't support 5Ghz, only 2.4Ghz.
I think this bug need another report.
But I have a question: won't it duplicate the bug report?
https://bugs.openwrt.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=2139