Rsyslogd - missing messages?

Hello community,

I tried to replace the default logging daemon (I think it is logd?) from OpenWRT with rsyslog, which I am way more familiar configuring with.

However, I have the strong feeling, that not all messages are processed from rsyslogd - for whatever reason that is.
Quick example:

• I configured rsyslogd to log all auth and authpriv messages to /var/log/auth/auth.log
    -> This looks like this: auth,authpriv.* /var/log/auth/auth.log
  • When I login using SSH, this naturally generates some authpriv messages, which should correctly be logged into /var/log/auth/auth.log
    -> These look like so: Fri Feb 15 18:30:01 2019 authpriv.info dropbear[1668]: Child connection from IP:61068

So far so good, but I am unable to find these messages anywhere (not in auth.log nor in the configured syslog (/var/log/sys/syslog)) - but for some strange reason I can see them via logread ..
Why is it like that? Am I totally missing something?!

What I try to achieve is a replacement of the default logging mechanism with rsyslogd.
Isn't it that simple as installing and configuring rsyslogd or am I missing some important steps here?

BTW: rsyslogd claims everything is configured properly (run it with -N1 -d [configuration check with debugging enabled]), so I doubt the reason is rsyslogd somehow

Thanks alot!

Regards,
Steffen

Have you disabled the default logger? It might be "swallowing" the messages before they get to your own logger.

1 Like

Hello jeff,

how would I disable the default logger?
Thank you!

Regards,
Steffen

I believe you can do it through LuCI (System > Startup, perhaps? I'm not a LuCI user), by removing the symlink in /etc/rc.d, or with /etc/init.d/log disable

1 Like

From CLI

/etc/init.d/log stop
/etc/init.d/log disable

Or System-Startup in Luci as @jeff mentioned.

1 Like

Hello jeff,
Hello trendy,

thanks to both of you - this worked out perfectly fine. Thank you very much!!

Regards,
Steffen

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.