Routing between two wireless networks on one OpenWrt box

Hi there,

I've just started using OpenWRT and have installed OpenWrt 21.02.0 r16279-5cc0535800 / LuCI openwrt-21.02 branch git-21.231.26241-422c175 on a Zbtlink ZBT-WE826 (16M).

On the OW box I have setup a wireless network in client mode that connects to an existing wireless network (as a client). I have also configured a separate subnet (to the subnet of the connected wireless network) on the LAN interface of the OW box. I am able to successfully route between the LAN network connected to the OW box, and the existing wireless network (using the client mode connection on the OW box).

What I would now like to do is add another wireless network on the OW box, in AP mode - so that I can connect wireless client devices to it, and then route this new wireless network between the OW LAN, and the existing wireless network. This is where I have come unstuck.

No matter what I've tried, as soon as I enable the new wireless network configured as an AP on the OW box, I loose connectivity to the client connected wireless network. The connection stays "up" but no traffic passes between the LAN and connected wireless network.

I have discovered that if I set the wireless network configured as an AP to "No Security", then the connection to the existing wireless network is maintained, but as soon as I set it to "WPA2 PSK", connectivity is lost. I don't want to run an open AP :slight_smile:

Just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to make this work or what the problem might be, or if this is even possible.

Cheers,

Please copy the output of the following commands and post it here using the "Preformatted text </> " button:
grafik
Remember to redact passwords, MAC addresses and any public IP addresses you may have:

cat /etc/config/network
cat /etc/config/wireless
cat /etc/config/dhcp
cat /etc/config/firewall
1 Like

Thanks @psherman, I've ended up just plugging another old standalone AP I had into one of the LAN ports haha - lazy and bodge I know, but has done the trick :slight_smile: Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.