Router with external outdoor antenna (high gain 500 m)

Ok, do you have any recommendation of both solutions? Something that is supported by openWRT?

If we assume all CPEs have the string CPE in their model name, there aren't many on the supported list - https://openwrt.org/toh/start?dataflt[Model*~]=cpe

Routers can be APs, so any router would do too, but you want to have at least detachable antennas, or U.FL connectors on the PCB, the latter would however require you to open the case.

Most APs wouldn't have external antennas, so that would mean you'd have to open them, to attach
your omidirectional.

I would also assume the 2.4GHz band is the preferred one to transmit over longer ranges, since it passes obstacles better (rain and snow affects speed too) than the 5GHz band, unless you need more speed.

You have to make sure the device you chose have detachable antennas for the 2.4GHz band, some only have those for 5GHz, while the 2.4 ones are internal, and in worst case, soldered.

A dual band device could be used for communicating with the other APs/routers on one band, and retransmitting the data locally on the 2nd band. That would however require your clients to be able to
utilize the 5GHz band, which isn't very common for sensors and other IoT devices.

Hi,
thank you I was thinking about the same product.
What about using powerline + WiFi like these? Since I have different building with independent electrical circuit, does each electrical circuit need to connect to the other?
Maybe they will have openWRT support.
Thank you

Yes, the buildings have to be electrically connected, to be able to use power lan.

There are devices out there, that can run ethernet over plain copper wires (like telephone wire), they will not deliver any speeds higher than 802.11n, but they're obviously weather safe.

I have a pair of those running between my house and the garage, where I have wired cameras installed.

Look for short haul modem on ebay, you'll obviously need a pair, one on each end.

A good thing about omnidirectionals is you only need one antenna in the centre, to communicate
with the satellites, while most other solutions will require point to point connections.

2 locations using CPEs, 2 devices
3 locations using CPEs, 6 devices
4 locations using CPEs, 8 devices

assuming the centre point is reachable from all satellite buildings
2 locations using omnis, 2 devices
3 locations using omnis, 3 devices
4 locations using omnis, 4 devices

I'm sure you get the point.

TP-Link EAP225-Outdoor AC1200 Wireless Access Point

$100USD shipped.

200m / 2.4Ghz - 300m / 5Ghz range.

Plus if you can force it to use 802.11b at 1, 5, or 11Mbps you could probably double or triple that range. Reduced bit rate = better SNR = longer tx/rx (like LoRa WAN). Removable antennas should give you an upgrade path if you need more range.

TL-ANT2415D $85USD shipped. Seems like an okay idea. Do you need 2 or more? Plus cabling? Plus what router at what cost? Is that cheaper than the TP-Link EAP225-Outdoor AC1200? Plus all cabling is lossy so you will lose a few db or more cutting into the 15db.

With openWRT loaded on an EAP225 you could AP - STA or MESH them together they would make a better connection and then you could broadcast a local hotspot from the spare radio.

At 200m or 300m LOS (or more at lower rates) x 2 for an AP - STA pair or MESH that should give alot of coverage. I haven't tested this so that would be on you.

Also this one: TP-Link Omada N300 Gigabit Wireless Access Point $54USD (no openWRT though I don't think) but it could make a good AP daisy chained off an EAP225 (if the EAP225 is using 2.4Ghz for AP - STA or MESH) and you need another 2.4Ghz AP for devices.

LoRa WAN. Could be worth looking at for sensors. Probably too slow for cameras. 1080p = 5Mbps. Reduced frame rates would lower that.

Sounds like alot of fun but either way you are going to be spending money to get that kind of coverage. The EAP225 x4 or x5 in a X or Y shaped mesh would be close to covering a 500m radius according to their numbers - and then the spare radio would cover another 200-300m depending on frequency and bitrate.

I thought I would throw this in there as well....

...this prices out at ~$1500USD. Whereas an EAP225 mesh with 5 nodes is around $500. Other commercial solutions would be in the thousands.

The EAP225 is an off the shelf, all in one solution. MESH (802.11s) is reliable and pretty easy to configure. If there are any dead spots, you just add another node or adjust placement of existing nodes. Easy to fix. Cheap. MESH is the preferred solution for reliable coverage of large areas from what I have read - assuming you have power available at the nodes.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your detailed answer.
Just a last question :slight_smile: Do you recommend to buy a normal router as archer c6 or a business router as EAP225? Both should be supported by openWRT.

EAP225-wall v2

The EAP225-wall v2 indoor model looks interesting since you can get it used ~$55USD.

Not sure about the QCA9561. The stock firmware might not MESH and I don't know if OpenWRT fixes that or if it is a limitation of the chipset. Also it has smaller antennas built in = less coverage. Per the photos it would be more difficult to add antennas since there are no connectors.

Archer C6 v2 US version

The C6 v2 US version 16/128Mb, would get my approval due to its low used price ~$30USD, QCA9563 supports MESH. Be very careful when buying used as to which versions you get as mixing and matching chipsets typically doesn't work in a MESH - use the same one if possible or expect problems. I couldn't find any videos on youtube for modifying its antennas - but there were lots for other devices like the archer C20.

Verdict:

I prefer the C6 v2 US version, due to lower cost (almost half an EAP225 indoor) and its got better antennas. In theory if you could get the bigger 12-20db omni antennas installed on it this thing would be rockin. You could make your own weather proof enclosure for it.

Lastly you can get cheap 12-20db antennas (~$7-15USD) so I would go for those over the TL-ANT2415D. Even if they break - you could literally buy 5 or 10 of them for the same price as the TL-ANT2415D. Check youtube for all the antenna hacks.

It might be worth checking out devices like the C20 v4 although bear in mind it is a 8/64Mb device. It might work - just don't load tons of packages on it. For example my ar750s (uses the same QCA9563 as the C6 v2 US version) uses 62Mb with 19.07.7 installed on it in a 4 node MESH.

Like he said - you really want a router that has removable external antennas (rp-sma) or internally U.fl or ipex connectors on it so you don't have to solder ideally. Lots of great suggestions. You could literally save hundreds of dollars and get better performance.

OT

I learned to set up an OpenWRT MESH by watching this youtube video by Van Tech Corner. He made it really easy to set up a MESH fast using LuCI. Cảm ơn Van!

BONUS POINTS

Check out the jalapeno or habanero.

Conclusion:

When you buy routers to test, even if they don't work out they can still be used as AP's in conjunction with other products and solutions. Start small - just buy 2 or 3 to test. Buy the cheapest ones that will do the job. Low cost = low risk --> if something didn't work it's okay because you didn't spend a large amount of money.

Think of the big picture - "one size fits all solution" probably isn't going to work. It will be an evolving project to cover 196,349 metres (48.5 acres) and will likely used mixed solutions.

If you go more DIY style you can buy way more stuff, get better performance, save alot of money and have alot of fun. I made 2 MESH networks using OpenWRT just for home use just for fun.

Re. the cheap 12-20db omni antennas online - they aren't outdoor rated - but everyone is still using them. Just add silicone to seal it up around the base on the outside and inside of the enclosure to prevent water from getting in.

For a project this size you could save thousands by taking a mixed approach using the strategies presented here.

1 Like

Thank you. I'm still evaluating if choosing powerline, mesh or both of them (mixed scenario). In any case, is it recommend to buy a router as those reported before (for the main building where is located the modem)? Or something else?

You need a router anyway, unless it's provided by your ISP.

Other devices could perhaps be transformed into routers, if they had at least two ethernet ports.

In such case, which model do you suggest? Something that is openWRT ready and it suited for the project.

Where are you at, geographically .... ?

The recommendations might be different, based on your answer, due to product availability.

Satellite Internet is not very fast, so you don't need a lot of performance from the main router. It sounds like most of this network's traffic is going to be LAN to LAN.

I'm in Spain.

Right, however I prefer to have a good project with a good LAN network. Hopefully, in the future fast satellite link or maybe wimax or other technology will be available.

Buenos días

I set my VPN to spain and opened ebay dot es:

archer C6 = 44€ shipped
archer C7 = 65€ shipped
linksys EA8300 = 90€ shipped

I think those would make good choices for a home router. They run 19.07.7. They are MESH capable. The C7 and EA8300 can easily be flashed from the web GUI. Be careful which version of C6 you get as the earlier versions have problems doing that. Those prices are roughly 10-30% higher than what I paid. It seems a little high for used routers. Compare them to new prices?

HTH

1 Like

eduhelphub
As I understand, you are trying to extend your reach to outdoor. I have been using this tplink N300 wifi extender. It works like a charm, but let me tell you that the ping will increase slightly, so if it means a lot for you (if you are gamer), then you need to keep that in mind.

is your n300 also 500m away from the router ?

Both Archers have half of the antennas (probably 2.4HGz) soldered, based on photos in the openwrt wiki.

The EA8300 seems however to have all antennas attached using U.FL.

The GL.iNet gl-mt300a pocket router have U.FL and external antennas.
Perhaps not the best device for a router, but could be used with the omnis, as AP.

1 Like

This user may be on to something.

I actually saw an article where some guy made a larger 24" sectional reflector and got a km out of a 2.4Ghz travel router (he used the one with an external antenna). 1-2Mbps? That's impressive. Could make a good point to multipoint or multiple point to point solutions dirt cheap with cheap replacements for inventory. I know those smaller travel routers are around $22USD. Very low power = easy to run off solar.

Found it...

More fun reading, some good links at the bottom....

Addendum:

I wouldn't recommend the C7 v2 (QCA9558) for 2.4Ghz operation.

Sadly the C7 v5 uses the QCA9563 which is reliable in an AR750S (2.4Ghz mesh) but not in the C7 (proprietary driver issue I believe).

I tried meshing C7 v2 in 2.4Ghz and it would crash every ~24H which I "fixed" by using watchcat to reboot the routers every 24H - but its not ideal as it creates an interruption: the mesh would reform but AP clients would get dropped etc..

The C7 v2 seems to mesh no problem and is reliable on 5Ghz even with concurrent 5Ghz AP's. Will update if I see otherwise.

I haven't used these products but here's a link for a company selling mesh solutions that I thought looked interesting. Lots of good tips on their website.

HTH

1 Like