Router with external outdoor antenna (high gain 500 m)

You need a router anyway, unless it's provided by your ISP.

Other devices could perhaps be transformed into routers, if they had at least two ethernet ports.

In such case, which model do you suggest? Something that is openWRT ready and it suited for the project.

Where are you at, geographically .... ?

The recommendations might be different, based on your answer, due to product availability.

Satellite Internet is not very fast, so you don't need a lot of performance from the main router. It sounds like most of this network's traffic is going to be LAN to LAN.

I'm in Spain.

Right, however I prefer to have a good project with a good LAN network. Hopefully, in the future fast satellite link or maybe wimax or other technology will be available.

Buenos días

I set my VPN to spain and opened ebay dot es:

archer C6 = 44€ shipped
archer C7 = 65€ shipped
linksys EA8300 = 90€ shipped

I think those would make good choices for a home router. They run 19.07.7. They are MESH capable. The C7 and EA8300 can easily be flashed from the web GUI. Be careful which version of C6 you get as the earlier versions have problems doing that. Those prices are roughly 10-30% higher than what I paid. It seems a little high for used routers. Compare them to new prices?

HTH

1 Like

eduhelphub
As I understand, you are trying to extend your reach to outdoor. I have been using this tplink N300 wifi extender. It works like a charm, but let me tell you that the ping will increase slightly, so if it means a lot for you (if you are gamer), then you need to keep that in mind.

is your n300 also 500m away from the router ?

Both Archers have half of the antennas (probably 2.4HGz) soldered, based on photos in the openwrt wiki.

The EA8300 seems however to have all antennas attached using U.FL.

The GL.iNet gl-mt300a pocket router have U.FL and external antennas.
Perhaps not the best device for a router, but could be used with the omnis, as AP.

1 Like

This user may be on to something.

I actually saw an article where some guy made a larger 24" sectional reflector and got a km out of a 2.4Ghz travel router (he used the one with an external antenna). 1-2Mbps? That's impressive. Could make a good point to multipoint or multiple point to point solutions dirt cheap with cheap replacements for inventory. I know those smaller travel routers are around $22USD. Very low power = easy to run off solar.

Found it...

More fun reading, some good links at the bottom....

Addendum:

I wouldn't recommend the C7 v2 (QCA9558) for 2.4Ghz operation.

Sadly the C7 v5 uses the QCA9563 which is reliable in an AR750S (2.4Ghz mesh) but not in the C7 (proprietary driver issue I believe).

I tried meshing C7 v2 in 2.4Ghz and it would crash every ~24H which I "fixed" by using watchcat to reboot the routers every 24H - but its not ideal as it creates an interruption: the mesh would reform but AP clients would get dropped etc..

The C7 v2 seems to mesh no problem and is reliable on 5Ghz even with concurrent 5Ghz AP's. Will update if I see otherwise.

I haven't used these products but here's a link for a company selling mesh solutions that I thought looked interesting. Lots of good tips on their website.

HTH

1 Like