Router refuses to allow firmware update/change

Hello, this is my first post and I am a new user of OpenWrt so I hope I don't appear too stupid.

I already own a We8626-T2 router that has GoldenOrb firmware installed and runs very well. But I own another router with identical hardware that came with OpenWrt installed. I would like to install GoldenOrb onto this router too but what would seem to be very easy, and is on the WE826-T2, is not allowed by my second.

The second problem router has "LEDE Reboot SNAPSHOT r3937-fc859fb / LuCI Master (git-17.099.31049-a162384)" and I get the error "The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform" once I try to upgrade.

The routers are exactly the same.

I tried a trick involving converting the .bin file to a .trx but the router still rejected it.

The model you mentioned isn't in OpenWrt supported hardware. My best guess is that what you have is a manufacturer fork of OpenWrt. I suggest you get in touch with the manufacturer.

Yeah thanks I have done that but he is being evasive about it. He doesn't want me to have the freedom to flash my own firmware, for some reason.

I can't imagine what that could be other than spying.

This is what we can expect from a totalitarian state.

Ahh finally received instruction on how to flash.

"Hold down the reset button, plug in the power adapter, enter 192.168.1.1 in the browser, and enter U-BOOT. Upgrade firmware"

The interface is in Chinese so I can do very little.

I can see one major problem. The chipset is not what was advertised. It is Qualcomm and not MTK.

He insists this router has nothing to do with ZBT but that is the only one I can locate that fits ZBT-WE826-Q. The others are MTK as far as I can make out.

His AD said it was MTK.

Use google translator in image mode on your mobile phone.

Thanks but if he is denying that the router is the ZBT-WE826-Q I don't see that there is much I can do. I can't blindly try to flash any image.

I have translated the Chinese enough to find the correct tab for recovery flash and that the options mean "restart" and "keep bootloader" and "keep ART" but am unsure if they should be selected or not. Also the dropdown box gives a couple of options and I don't know which to select.

Presuming that this IS the ZBT Q version that I think it is.

Never seen this recovery method before. I prefer the simpler version that gives one option. Which is what I was expecting to be honest.

According to the box this router is a WR841T but I have never heard of that. The recovery mentions TP-LINK though.

Turns out it IS the ZBT Q version and the appropriate ROOter firmware is now installed.

Thanks for reading and help.

The salesman still denies it is the Q version.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.