With the change to ath79 "requiring" an edit of at least wireless config, it seems like a potentially "not too bad time" to look at how the Wireless On/Off switch is handled in 19.??
At least for me, the current behavior is annoying for a couple reasons:
- The switch is backwards compared to the label
- It doesn't "work" to switch it when the device isn't running
- The changes are written through UCI, meaning that
- You can't get back to what you had by flipping it if you had one or more radios off (it enables everything)
- It rewrites
- Can cause "false diffs" with a VCS
- Loses any comments in your file
I've been hesitant to make a change to this, as it means going to the physical device to flip the switch to the position that agrees with the label (yours is probably at "Off" right now).
Are there any strong objections to working on a patch to "fix" this so that:
- "On" is on for radios enabled in
- "Off" disables the radios, without modifying the config
- The switch is position sensitive, so it can be switched while the system is not running and impact the system at boot
Older threads on the topic