Review of the WiFi performance on Belkin RT3200

I guess by now a lot of us know that the Belkin RT3200 makes for a great Openwrt device. But I wanted to share this review video on Youtube which specifically talks about SQM performance and more importantly the weak WiFi performance on this device.

Hope this helps with anyone who is thinking about a new Openwrt router or considering the Belkin RT3200 already. Let me know if you have any questions about the WiFi on this router and I am happy to help.

I suggest you update your video to clarify the current WiFi issues only exist in 802.11ax mode. This is likely a driver or config issues and will hopefully be fixed. If you change to 802.11ac mode you will find the 5ft test gets a little slower, but all other tests are much faster.

My own WiFi tests using iperf3 server running on the router show a huge difference between the two modes. I am very happy with the overall WiFi performance.

802.11ax
800 Mbits	10 ft, no walls / line of sight
200 Mbits	20 ft, one wall
 80 Mbits	30 ft, two walls & floor (upstairs)
  0 Mbits	40 ft, two interior walls, one exterior wall (outside)

802.11ac
600 Mbits	10 ft, no walls / line of sight
500 Mbits	20 ft, one wall
220 Mbits	30 ft, two walls & floor (upstairs)
140 Mbits	40 ft, two interior walls, one exterior wall (outside)

Very interesting and thanks for sharing - I will validate this today and pin a comment on the video and attribute it you.

This slow down using AX is not unique to the RT3200. 802.11ax worse than 802.11ac with mt76 driver? - #110 by soxrok2212