[Resolved] Securing Wireless with Passwords

I have the Router GUI open as I type and from

Network/Wireless/Wireless Overview/Edit and next to:

Wireless Network: Master "OpenWrt" (wlan0) and Device Configuration -- Interface Configuration Wireless Security

I see 8 different encryption possibilities.

Forgive me, I'm not a network guy and would like to know which of these can I use that will allow me to use the wireless "key" or "passphrase" that came with the stock router. Or, if that isn't possible then the encryption that allows alphabet (Latin or English) and numbers.

The most likely case is that they also used "WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK Mixed mode", leave cypher to "auto" and type your key in the box below. It should work.

By the way, 8 ???
I only see 5, including "none". (v.18.06.4)

As follows:

No Encryption
WEP Open System
WEP Shared Key
WPA-PSK
WPA2-PSK
WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK Mixed Mode
WPA-EAP
WPA2-EAP

OK, "UNCLE". I give. I want to use only numbers. I can use WPA2-PSK ???

SO, I gulped, chose WPA2-PSK and added some encryption below and APPLIED and SAVED and it's working (for now). Thank you Community.

1 Like

WPA2-PSK
Force CCMP (AES)
Enable key reinstallation

I don't know what Force CCMP (AES) is or the Enable key ...

I thank you for your help, but I need a non computer non network engineer solution.
I want the most basic, practical information. Not complexity.

Such as:

Select WPA2-PSK and use any character from 8 to 64 charcers. You can use, letters, numbers and symbols.

Nothing about UTF-8 or ASCII or ANSI.

I guessed as much, which is why I gave the most suitable answer without bombarding you with surplus information.

But three options is too complex?

WPA2-PSK is the strongest password-based encryption among those choices. Use any character from 8 to 64 charcers. You can use, letters, numbers and symbols.

Force CCMP (AES) is the strongest cipher available among those choices. It's harder to break than TKIP.

Enable key reinstallation addresses a weakness in WPA and WPA2. WPA and WPA2 have a fundamental flaw in them, and this provides a workaround.

Set those three as indicated and you'll have the strongest password-based wireless encryption currently available on that firmware. It's not perfect, but someone would have to put in a lot of effort to break it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.