Request: Openvpn server web interface for managing users

I have a customer that wants to manage openvpn users by themselves. They have very little IT experience, but they are able to create a user/password profile for openvpn on an Endian firewall.

The issue with openwrt is that there is not web interface for managing an openvpn server with user/pass authentication.

I know that it's better to use certs, and that's what I usually do. I don't even use web interface to manage openvpn, I just create plain old config files, certs, etc, but some people just want to be able to manage users via a web interface.

Is there some plan to add a package to manage a user/pass based auth for openvpn server and maybe a web interface to such users and passwords? I can do the auth part (a shell script) but I'm no web dev so I can't make the web interface part myself.

Thanks.

2 Likes

There is no plan for that and little resources for feature requests in gernal. So unless someone volunteers to work on it, it will not happen. The entire OpenVPN ui stuff is due for a rewrite.

I hope someone will and bring this program(Openvpn-server) to the desired level like other VPNs.

it's an open source project, simply roll up your sleeves ...

You can work with a text/script based approach where you have a separate file with:
username password
each on its own llne

But a GUI would be nice, (you can see the password if you hover the mouse over it)

Above the GUI I wrote for another third party firmware but for OpenWRT I still have to learn a "few" things to make that again.

Very interesting, I hope to get a chance to receive the script after it is completed.

I am going to dig it up but will take some time, holidays/festivities the coming week etc.

I have dug up the necessary script but while testing it found a bug in openvpn.init, I have already patched it so at the end of this week the necessary script and instructions will be in my repo.

Note this is the simple poor mans solution, no pam plugin, just a script with plain text file with username password but for SoHo routers and a limited number of users it will do.

Instructions and patches to setup password/username for OpenVPN authorization can be found at: https://github.com/egc112/OpenWRT-egc-add-on/tree/main/openvpn-username-password

I am still working on it but should be usable

4 Likes