Refresh project identity - new OpenWrt project logo

I liked the C logos more. Regarding the colours, I don't mind so much, black-white looks fine too.

1 Like

May I suggest to vote on the shape first (only four options: the shapes in Black and White first), then once the shape is agreed on, we can discuss the colours? That way you avoid votes scattering.

3 Likes

If the slogan is to remain "wireless freedom" then I think the following is the combination that best represents that and remain simple to some extents (the font of "wireless freedom" can be revised.

1 Like

C1
Because, to me anyway, it has the best historical family look yet is modern and up to date. Last but not least it will print well both on paper and merchandise.

But shape is in the letter and color in the numeral, so we basically have two semi-independent measures already, no?

Correct. But then how you get form the counts of 16 options to the results?

• Will you just take the option that got votes more than any of the other 15?
  • Will you take the shape that got more votes across all four colours, and take the colour that got more votes across all shapes?
  • Will you take the shape that got more votes across all four colours, then take the colour that got more votes for that particular shape?
  • Will you take the colour that got more votes across all four shapes, then take the shape that got more votes for that particular colour?

Well, I would:

1. declare to be the sole winner a choice that gets more than twice the votes of the second best option.
  2. if one above gives no winner, I would remove the least favorite 20% (at least one option needs to go though) and ring in a next round.
    But note, I have no real say in the rules and procedure, but I assume a) this is all in good faith and fun and b) unless there will be a sufficiently broad consensus nothing much is going to happen....

IMHO all options are acceptable/decent so I am fine with whatever the core team will select, but I also appreciate being able to voice an opinion. :wink:

1 Like

I would prefer a second round too, possibly incorporating the opinions expressed in this topic.

2 Likes

How does this or that relate to "two semi-independent measures"?

I re-iterate my suggestion that voting should be on shape and colour separately. two sets of 4 options are a lot more manageable and accurate than a set of 16 options, plus new suggestions.

That's, of course, if we are talking about voting in its essence. But, as you say, all options are acceptable and I personally wouldn't mind any of them.

Well, you could also apply my rules to shape and color independently, if one color and or shape gets more votes than the second best (and say at least 30% of total votes to allow for "none of the above" votes) it would be the winner. But realistically let's just whittle down the eligible set in a few rounds... And see whether the core team is happy with the result (I accept that the core team should be the final arbiter on this).

1 Like

This is fabulous work. Thanks. Now that I've voted, I will add a bit more feedback:

1. I like the bird flying away icon ("D" choices) in keeping with "wireless freedom" slogan. But it makes me wonder why the bird is flying away from a shape that looks like the letter "D"... Perhaps that could be a rounded-rectangle? Or no shape at all?

2. I also like the "antenna in circle" from the "C" choices. I see the similarity to RadioBremen.de, but I think it's OK. Maybe the "radio waves" could look like a fan - I don't know...

3. Type treatment: I agree that we should retain the sans-serif upper/lowercase type treatment of "OpenWrt" It preserves continuity with the current type treatment,and makes it easy to plop the ® symbol at the top-right of the "t"

4. BUT I'm not fond of the lower-case "t" in OpenWrt. (I agree with @moeller0) Actually, I hate the "t". I had a real visceral (bad) reaction to seeing the "t"... It looks "cutesy" and affected - just put there for no reason.

5. Colors: keep to green or blue shades. We will probably change the openwrt.org and LuCI default theme to match that color, so we're going to be looking at it for a while.

Thank you again for putting these ideas to the group.

2 Likes

Personally, I‘d favor the fonts in the C and D groups but I’d wish for a reworked „t“ letter to have a cleaner and simpler shape in the „C“ variant. Color wise, I like the 1 and 4 choices.

My wish for a logo would be the font of „D“ with the circular logo of „C“ and the blueish or greenish palette from 1 or 4.

It is a supersonic bird hence the shockwaves. :wink:

Some other Open flyers....

I really like the bird logo, and what it represents. Downside of it though is that currently it seems to fly inwards, instead of outwards, due to the sloping edges of the wings being on the front instead of the back.

Light blue is the most fresh, clean and airy looking color of the proposed ones.

So, hopefully we can avoid depressing dark colors. The proposed red and orange(?) look smudgy to me, and also the green one could be more light/bright/fresh.

1 Like

Feel the same. Green is more trendy currently, but blue reminds me of the original linksys wrt, where it all started with.

My thoughts:

• all too complicated/blown-up
  • vote should differentiate between multiple aspects of a logo: Form, Color, Text, [...] - maybe in this order: Text/Content, Form, Color

if i had to voice only one single thing, i would want to keep the OpenWrt uppercase/lowercase spelling as it has been this way for many years

3 Likes

Black and white are more @trendy

lost is your soul :smiling_imp: