Raspberry Pi 4 released

The answer is the same as it was a few hours ago...

please where? can you please tag that reply here

See this and following postings: Raspberry Pi 4 released

Another option, I think, is that someone decides to produce and maintain a community build. Common problems (usb2ethernet drivers, larger SD partitions, etc) could be solved once and for all. I'm not sure that a "standard" build will address such issues.

Some other platforms already have community builds.

For the low prices of large capacity SD cards these days it wouldn't be hard to include ALL the usb ethernet drivers in a community build. Also, how large of partitions does the average person need anyway? I would think a few gigs would be more than enough for 99% of people. :laughing:

Oh well, I'm enjoying the Pi with openwrt... its leagues more powerful than the linksys It replaced and hasn't given me any trouble yet... except for this:

The installed version of package kernel is not compatible, require 5.4.52-1-1e805069… while 5.4.52-1-48510e4c… is installed.

1 Like

Ball is rolling

2 Likes

I just ordered my Pi 4, can anyone suggest a good USB to ethernet adaptor to use? Thanks.

I'm using the TP Link UE300 from Curry's, it was £15 and works fine.

2 Likes

Hi all

Sysupgrade of ext4 images works? Just tired to upgrade a self build (extended rootfs size) from a build I have made last week (kernel 5.4.45) to a build I have made today and no upgrade happened

Hi, @Menion,

Nope, it does not. You can follow my instructions to build an image with ImageBuilder that ease the process of upgrading, otherwise as you found out it will require your to wipe your image because partition layout changed.

See my suggested ext4 upgrade process using ImageBuilder.

Kind regards.

Well, actually I have tried a second time after the first attempt and it worked.

I did not change anything, used the same file and same device (chrome on android phone) to start the update

Oh, so you are updating from the web interface, interesting. I did only tried manually using sysupgrade.

Hello!
Can anyone please tell me Do i need to buy gigabit ethernet adapter if my modem only has 100mb ethernet ports? Can i go with usb2 ethernet adapter instead of usb3 gigabit ethernet adapter?

You can of course. However the USB3 to Gigabit ethernet costs as cheap as 15€ and will be ready for future upgrades.

1 Like

ok thanks and should i use usb adapter for wan or pi4 ethernet for wan? which one works best with SQM?

It shouldn't matter. The best practice is to use the RPi ethernet for LAN, in case something goes wrong with the usb adapter, not to lose connectivity to the board and to be able to login and troubleshoot.

2 Likes

No, you don't. But you will need a managed switch. In order to use 1 ethernet with 2 interfaces (LAN+WAN) you must configure 2 VLANs.

If you plan to use additional VLANs, the need of a managed switch is independent of using an USB-ethernet adapter.

Otherwise make your decision depending on your budget: an USB3-ethernet is about 15 €, a managed switch about 20-25 € (5-port) or 25-35€ (8-port).

The maximum speed of all VLANs is added, the limit is the maximum of your ethernet speed. Example: if your modem (on WAN) delivers a max of 100 Mbit/s, then you'll have a range of 800-900 Mbit/s for your LAN.

Of course. In that case your speed will be limited.

There are USB-100Mbit-ethernet adapter (less than 10 €), those are mostly USB2 (max speed: 100 Mbit/s).

There are USB-1Gbit-ethernet adapter, those are mostly USB3 (max speed: 1 Gbit/s).

You can connect an USB3-1Gbit-ethernet adapter with an USB2 port. In that case you'll get a maximum speed of about 300 Mbit/s (with a power consumption of about 0.3 W, connected to an USB3 port will use about 1.0 W)

2 Likes

I already bought a cheap unmanaged 8 port gigabit switch and also bought a usb 3 gigabit adapter

You'll more than likely need a simple managed switch for vlan tagging like a TL-SG108E.

with managed switch and vlans i only need to connect lan of pi4 with switch? and modem lan with switch?
make them in a single vlan with pi4 for pppoe? and separate vlan for lan network