Raspberry Pi 4 released

So as your main household router, how is it holding up? Working well? Trouble free...

Doing great actually. Filtering, adblocking, access scheduling for my kids, traffic shaping, DSCP traffic prioritisation, and no breaking a sweat! Very stable, so I'm very happy with it and its stability.

1 Like

That's great news... I really am tempted to give one a try.

Another quick question, some cases require a script to be installed for fan control or power button operation, can these be used if openwrt is the OS?

for the pi, you have to use a custom gpio+transistor and script... and/or an inline NTC/external thermal controller direct to vin or similar. I have not seen examples in the wild making use of the "pwm" pins... most examples are based on sysfs/thermal + high/low ( on/off ) only.

While I agree it would be great to run the AQM algorithms in combination with BQL, this is rarely useful today. Instead, a traffic shaper ensures the AQM algorithm has control of the bottleneck queue. Please see this explanation:

In combination with the shaper, a good USB NIC should work nearly as well as one connected via PCIe, adding only a small amount of latency. I don't have an USB NIC to run any tests, though.

2 Likes

usb for wan works well for me and others here... onboard does expose these tho'... not sure of they are of much use tho'?

/sys/class/net/eth0/queues/tx-0-4/xps_cpus

I was looking at the argon one case, it's a passive case but with a fan if needed... Seems to be popular on pi forums, but they say that a script needs used to control the fan. I think depending on temp the fan runs at different speeds... However as I won't be using raspbian will I be able to use this case? Will scripts run on the openwrt base?

looks like they use some RPi.GPIO ( python ) for the buttons so that would be incompatible ( off the shelf ) and some other stuff re: gui...

short answer no it is not compatible... ( long answer it could probably be made to work for someone with intermediate / advanced skills )

1 Like

That's ok then, I liked that case as it passively cooled the CPU but also the Ram chip... Others like the Flirc only do the CPU.

I don't think running as a router should cause heating issues anyway.

I use https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-cases/products/aluminium-armour-heatsink-case-for-raspberry-pi-4 on mine, keeps it at 46-50°C.

That's cooling the ram chip as well... Excellent thank you

i'm using a teency 5v off the 3v pin and a triple sized heatsink ( down air = beneficial )

temps: 45-55...

quite a bit of heat is transferred to the underside of the board/cpu... for custom cases having a "inflow port" right under the cpu area will help alot.

This is mine, passive cooled, temp graph during last 24 hours with 22C degrees at home during the day:

I use this one (see here)

The rpi4b is running at 40°-45°C, the room temperature is about 24°C.

There's only one problem with the case: it's some kind of difficult to remove the sd-card.

After figuring out that the previous router (an oldish Belkin) was the root of conferencing problems (bufferbloat, looks like), I set up our pi4 as a wireless router. Running for 2+ days now, works great. I set up SQM as per suggestions and all problems are gone. Only worry is temperature, ranges from 64-67 (ambient here is 25-35). I have placed it on its side, in a solid plastic case (the official red/white one); when it was flat, temp went to 75+. Thanks to lockdown, I can't get any hardware over here right now... but with conferencing such a necessity, OpenWRT has been a lifesaver!

1 Like

Does anyone have experiences with lcd displays on pi4 with OpenWrt (required drivers, programs etc.)?

Thanks!

1 Like

The offical case is terrible, it has hardly no ventilation.

I'm in a warm Spanish climate and had to buy a different case, settled on one of those fanless alu heatsink types and it did wonders.

1 Like

+1

I can vouch for the Flirc case. Passively cooled, ie no noise. And doesn't throttle even when running at 100% load for 24/7.

Will look for the heatsink type case once things ease up a bit.... and hope it can run continuously at 65-ish until then!