Raspberry Pi 4 released

looks like they use some RPi.GPIO ( python ) for the buttons so that would be incompatible ( off the shelf ) and some other stuff re: gui...

short answer no it is not compatible... ( long answer it could probably be made to work for someone with intermediate / advanced skills )

1 Like

That's ok then, I liked that case as it passively cooled the CPU but also the Ram chip... Others like the Flirc only do the CPU.

I don't think running as a router should cause heating issues anyway.

I use https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-cases/products/aluminium-armour-heatsink-case-for-raspberry-pi-4 on mine, keeps it at 46-50°C.

That's cooling the ram chip as well... Excellent thank you

i'm using a teency 5v off the 3v pin and a triple sized heatsink ( down air = beneficial )

temps: 45-55...

quite a bit of heat is transferred to the underside of the board/cpu... for custom cases having a "inflow port" right under the cpu area will help alot.

This is mine, passive cooled, temp graph during last 24 hours with 22C degrees at home during the day:

I use this one (see here)

The rpi4b is running at 40°-45°C, the room temperature is about 24°C.

There's only one problem with the case: it's some kind of difficult to remove the sd-card.

After figuring out that the previous router (an oldish Belkin) was the root of conferencing problems (bufferbloat, looks like), I set up our pi4 as a wireless router. Running for 2+ days now, works great. I set up SQM as per suggestions and all problems are gone. Only worry is temperature, ranges from 64-67 (ambient here is 25-35). I have placed it on its side, in a solid plastic case (the official red/white one); when it was flat, temp went to 75+. Thanks to lockdown, I can't get any hardware over here right now... but with conferencing such a necessity, OpenWRT has been a lifesaver!

1 Like

Does anyone have experiences with lcd displays on pi4 with OpenWrt (required drivers, programs etc.)?

Thanks!

1 Like

The offical case is terrible, it has hardly no ventilation.

I'm in a warm Spanish climate and had to buy a different case, settled on one of those fanless alu heatsink types and it did wonders.

1 Like

+1

I can vouch for the Flirc case. Passively cooled, ie no noise. And doesn't throttle even when running at 100% load for 24/7.

Will look for the heatsink type case once things ease up a bit.... and hope it can run continuously at 65-ish until then!

I have the same heatsink case. With ambient temperature 25° the cpu works in the 43°-45° range.

CPU is not stressed with daily tasks.

Yep, in its way to my home. :metal:

I'm using a PoE Hat instead of a power adapter. It comes with a fan but I can't control it. I've included these lines in config.txt but I see no effect

# PoE Hat Fan Speeds
dtparam=poe_fan_temp0=63000,poe_fan_temp0_hyst=3000
dtparam=poe_fan_temp1=66000,poe_fan_temp1_hyst=3000
dtparam=poe_fan_temp2=75000,poe_fan_temp2_hyst=3000

Using OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r13520-68b94f0fb4

1 Like
Load:   dtoverlay=rpi-poe,<param>[=<val>]

so....?

dtoverlay=rpipoe,poe_fan_temp0=63000,poe_fan_temp0_hyst=3000,poe_fan_temp1=66000,poe_fan_temp1_hyst=3000,poe_fan_temp2=75000,poe_fan_temp2_hyst=3000
1 Like

I've now tried without success:

# PoE Hat Fan Speeds
dtoverlay=rpi-poe,poe_fan_temp0=63000,poe_fan_temp0_hyst=3000
dtoverlay=rpi-poe,poe_fan_temp1=66000,poe_fan_temp1_hyst=3000
dtoverlay=rpi-poe,poe_fan_temp2=75000,poe_fan_temp2_hyst=3000

Kernel 5.4.43. Is there any pkg that I need to install on top of base OpenWRT ?

you'll need to run that in config.txt on rasbian... it should setup the relevant sysfs parameters... seems that they probably use "something" to read sysfs and do the grunt work. with any luck its "sh" ( doubt it )... probably either python... a binary... ( promising to translate ) ... or heaven forbid... a driver...

edit: looks like a custom i2c driver > CONFIG_SENSORS_RPI_POE_FAN=m

edit2: these patches seem to be in the openwrt source... not sure if would need other i2c/hwmon stuff too...

kmod-hwmon-rpi-poe-fan
#######################################
# fan activation and escalation settings
dtoverlay=rpi-poe
dtparam=poe_fan_temp0=60000
dtparam=poe_fan_temp1=62000
dtparam=poe_fan_temp2=64000
dtparam=poe_fan_temp3=68000
2 Likes

I don't have it installed, and when using opkg install it says that a more recent kernel is required (5.4.48 instead of 5.4.43). I'll have to wait some hours until I have a maintenance window to upgrade OpenWRT.

2 Likes

Does anyone know how increase overlay size with squashfs images?

Or shall I go for ext2 images?