Question about updating from ROOter (OpenWrt 18.06.7) to 19.07.4 on a TL-WDR3600

I want to update from ROOter GoldenOrb_2020-03-01 ( OpenWrt 18.06.7 ), to OpenWrt 19.07.4.

I plan to do a reset to default settings on the current installation and then do a 'sysupgrade -n /tmp/openwrt-19.07.4-ath79-generic-tplink_tl-wdr3600-v1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin'.

I just want to confirm that I can do a sysupgrade from ROOter, and get some insight from you.

I have two TL-WDR3600 running "ROOter GoldenOrb_2020-03-01 ( OpenWrt 18.06.7 )" and both are having random reboots. I have set up remote syslogging on both but there is no log before the reboot happens. so, maybe it is something to do with power fluctuations or maybe I can benefit from a different OpenWrt version, so I want to try that, if that doesn't help I will try some battery-backed 12V PSU instead of the stock power supply.

It is generally recommended that you flash back to the vendor firmware before you attempt to upgrade from different OS's. Since rooter is a variant of OpenWrt, the sysupgrade function might work properly, but it could fail if it isn't expecting images with the standard OpenWrt upgrade format.

If you do indeed flash back to the vendor firmware, you'll use the "factory" version of the OpenWrt images available on the downloads page.

1 Like

I am afraid of bricking. somehow I am even more afraid to flash the vendor firmware first and then once more do another flash of OpenWrt, but so far I am not sure if I can proceed with a sysupgrade, or should I revert to vendor firmware first.

Your choice. I’ve told you the recommended path for installing OpenWrt which is most likely to work (vendor to OpenWrt). I cannot tell you if the direct rooter to OpenWrt upgrade will work or if it will brick your device.

After confirming it is possible to do a 'sysupgrade -n', I took that route just now, it worked, even enabled software flow offloading already. hopefully things will get more stable now.