Port to RAVPower RP-WD009

I can confirm that sd cards works on openwrt for wd009
I am using it as en extroot

1 Like

Just wanted to chime in on this topic for the RP-WD007 since they're so similar. The WD009 snapshots work for the WD007, just about everything I've tested seems to be working except 5Ghz WiFi. Very happy at least the 2.4Ghz works.

I have managed to install openwrt in my RP-WD009, and now works as it had to.
I was using it for editing photos from an iPad, but SMB version was faulty.
Now I have it with Luci, KSMBD, sd card working, 2,4 ghz connected to my lan, and 5 ghz like hotspot, so I can access it through my lan or linked straight to the device.

How to access the Openwrt webserver on this?
Installed and updated via SSH , but not able to access a webserver.
I think I updated the latest;
openwrt-ramips-mt76x8-ravpower_rp-wd009-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

You have installed a snapshot image. Read the link for instructions how to install Luci, which is not installed by default in snapshots.

OMG - WHAT A ROAL PAIN IN THE A$$

Flashed OpenWRT , updated it to find out no Webserver is included. Then trying to get luci webserver installed was a pain in the A$$.. searching all over the place. The packaged to get it from supplied is broke. So was NEVER even able to try OpenWRT out on Rav.
Decided to revert back to stock.. ANOTHER Royal Pain...
Pissed because better communication, included complete firmware w/ webserver OR a working luci install process would have been nice.. These trivial things could have made this easy. Even screenshots of available options would have been nice.

First major problem..
1.) This is IN NO WAY- ready for people to flash. This should be stated upfront and that there is no webserver installed, and no good reverting instructions posted.
2.) No one posted a OpenWRT version with luci packed in and only snapshots available. WHY??

2.5) The package to install luci to make it useable fails at the end. No proper instructions either.

3.) No go way to go back to stock.. No where did it explain that the fw-7688-972_16_64_7628-RAVPower-WD09-16MFlash-2.000.022 was actually compressed and couldn't flash it in rescue mode. You had to pull the Kernel and rootsfs files out of it to write to the eprom from a command line. This is your only option without a UI/webserver.

4.) If I would have known these things at flash page, I would have waited until an official build was released.

Here is what I did in windows,,.. I followed detailed instructions I GOT LUCKY TO FIND, and extracted those 2 deeply EMBEDED files within the posted Factory flash image. In Windows 10 using 7-zip.
Here are the kernel and rootsfs files you need..

Then booted up and accessed the RAV via SSH using standard OpenWRT method ..I use MobaXterm for SSH and STP to copy them onto the RAV tmp folder. Was able to change permissions of both files to 777 -Full access

used the following command lines, one by one;

• mtd write /tmp/kernel loader
  • mtd write /tmp/rootfs firmware

It wrote them to the firmware memory..
Rebooted..
Now back to the lame RavPower primitive Factory webserver after a week of headache.
Yes, a little bitter..

Please, someone who knows how to package a full OpenWRT image WITH webserver- post on openwrt.org . Also , fix the luci repository.

Interesting note here. I've just installed 21.02rc3 and while have not tested neither SDCard nor USB - looks like 5GHz wifi works really opposite from the others for me:
From Ravpower I can connect to other 5G wireless network, but can not provide Access Point from the router on 5GHz. 2.4 works just as it supposed to. Any hints?

1 Like

Just in case anyone has problem flashing the firmware and not knowing how to add the webserver here is the compiled firmware with luci included.

I compiled it on 7/1/2021 following the instruction from this reddit post. https://www.reddit.com/r/openwrt/comments/ltabvd/instructions_for_ravpower_rpwd009_to_recover_from/goybu6w?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Instruction on how to flash is on this site

I'm not going to update this post with latest compiled firmware since anyone can do it with the instruction above and really you should compile your own firmware so you know exactly what is in the firmware.

1 Like

You could always use https://chef.libremesh.org/ to generate a firmware with luci (and any other package you might need) included.

1 Like

Thank you so much for packaging this.. It's so much easier to get rolling with it in this state and just update from there.

I know there was a full OpenWRT overhaul and UI change lately on higher end devices. Is the rp-wd009 there yet ? Can't find any screenshots online.

There is limited storage space on this device so maybe not.

@fonix232 , @blocktrron , guys, thanks for your work. any chance to get working ootb mobile client on openwrt ?

turn on sd led when sd card has been inserted

cat << "EOF" > /etc/hotplug.d/mmc/01-mmc-storage
    logger -t hotplug "Device: ${DEVICE} / Action: ${ACTION}"
case "${ACTION}" in
    add)
            # start process
        echo 1 > /sys/class/leds/white\:sd/brightness
            ;;
    remove)
            # stop process
        echo 0 > /sys/class/leds/white\:sd/brightness
            ;;
esac
EOF

catch buttons clicks

cat << "EOF" > /etc/hotplug.d/button/01-button
    logger -t hotplug "Button: ${BUTTON} / Action: ${ACTION}"
EOF

So, you can reader logs via logread
logread | grep user.notice

1 Like

It seem to be, we do not have enough space when openwrt is installed.
my setup included the following packages:

opkg update && opkg install luci-mod-battstatus block-mount kmod-fs-vfat kmod-fs-ext4 f2fs-tools kmod-fs-f2fs e2fsprogs luci-app-minidlna

But luci-app-samba can't be installed due to lack of free space

Also I guess it is possible to port the back end of the original app. As i saw it based on web server on 81 port, but i'm not sure about the space

1 Like

luci-app-samba4 uses samba4 by default, which is indeed too big for the 16MB flash - on a default install it would take ~10MB extra space.

You might want to give luci-app-ksmbd a go - it's a much smaller SMB implementation, totaling around 350kB used space.

2 Likes

I have the exact same issue running openwrt 21.02.0-rc4... 5Ghz will scan just fine, looks like it attempts to associate as well, but it won't bridge the connection in AP client mode. Likewise, it won't just broadcast a 'master' // AP signal bridged to the LAN. LED stays off. If I restart the radio, it flashes briefly on and off again. 2.4GHz works, but that really limits this devices capability. Tried changing the channels for the 5GHz band as well, no dice.. Rolling back to OEM.

Any known fix or workaround?

I think (hope) I did it (workaround). First using 21.02 release (in it's own that does not help), switch channels selection to "Auto", bandwidth to 20MHz and finally to make 5 GHz network work (enabled) - scan for other networks first. Need to test other configurations, but at least it works this way. Hope that helps.

1 Like

This topic was intended for adding support for this specific device.
Since official 21.02.0 images are available now, I will set a timer for this topic to close.

Why?

Because specific problems for this device with official releases are better handled in separate topics, in order to make finding relevant information easier.

Therefore: Please open new topics for any open issues with this device.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Does anyone know how stable installs for this are? I'd probably be building my own image to better use the limited flash, as well, so any notes on tricky parts of that would be helpful.

Also, on that note, is this still leaving 1.5 megs or so of flash unused due to the bootloader's small kernel partition issue? Is it feasible yet to change out the bootloader to one that works normally, and if I do, how do I then use the reclaimed space (I'd imagine the imagebuilder tries to use the chained bootloader trick needed to work with the stock one, so how do I tell it to use the space/loaders properly)?

You'd need to build a new U-Boot with a corrected partition layout, and then flash that through the U-Boot recovery (by default OpenWrt write-protects certain MTD partitions to avoid corruption, such as the bootloader, so the regular update procedure wouldn't work). The wiki has a quite good page on flash partitioning you can use as a base.

The update image should also address moving the SoC-specific information (factory, config, user_backup, etc. - where all the MAC addresses, etc. are stored), since updating the bootloader would most certainly require you to resize the Bootloader partition (right now it's 192kB, I'm pretty sure newer U-Boot will need around 256kB). The Belkin RT3200/Linksys E8450 has a quite nice conversion update image written that does something similar, which you could use for this purpose.

If you do decide to make this happen... Well, I'd definitely be intrigued to have this device on a proper partition map, freeing up that little extra space. Unfortunately I'm nowhere near skilled enough to even begin working on this, apart from the above "higher level" or "big picture" understanding. I also think it would be best if you started a new thread for this work.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.