Port 80 LuCl EXPOSED on WAN!

This is a network emergency, I think. I built a new OpenWRT network (latest version) with 5 VLANs, set it up so that VLAN10 was considered secure and VLAN20-50 insecure. Set up zones so that VLAN10 had access to all other VLANS but the other VLANs had no access to VLAN10. Then built traffic rules so that VLAN20-50 had internet and DHCP access.

All works as planned, but when I did a port scan with the Gibson website it told me port 80 was open. I went to an outside connected laptop and typed my public IP in a web browser, to my HORROR it loaded LuCl! I have no idea how I am exposing my OpenWRT router, which is on the LAN, to the WAN. Please look at the zones and see if a problem is evident!

Capture

Please copy the output of the following commands and post it here using the "Preformatted text </> " button:
grafik
Remember to redact passwords, MAC addresses and any public IP addresses you may have

ubus call system board; \
uci export network; uci export wireless; \
uci export dhcp; uci export firewall; \
head -n -0 /etc/firewall.user; \
iptables-save -c; \
ip -4 addr ; ip -4 ro li tab all ; ip -4 ru; \

Admittedly I have no idea what I'm doing, but I got no output when I ran those commands:

-----------------------------------------------------
 OpenWrt 19.07.4, r11208-ce6496d796
 -----------------------------------------------------
root@OpenWrt:~# ubus call system board; \
> uci export network; uci export wireless; \
> uci export dhcp; uci export firewall; \
> head -n -0 /etc/firewall.user; \
> iptables-save -c; \
> ip -4 addr ; ip -4 ro li tab all ; ip -4 ru; \
>

Try again, deleting the last \ or just hit enter a couple of times.

A lot of stuff, can you tell what parts you want to see? Should we do this PM, it's pages of info....

config zone
        option name 'lan'
        option input 'ACCEPT'
        option output 'ACCEPT'
        option forward 'ACCEPT'
        option network 'lan wan’

You have the wan network in the LAN firewall zone. That shouldn't be there. Take it out.

3 Likes

I have absolutely NO idea how that happened, but even with my limited skills I can see that it's wrong. I tried to remove WAN from the LAN zone in LuCl, but it refused--every time I removed the check from WAN in the LAN zone "covered networks" and saved, it came back again. Finally I edited the zone directly in /etc/config/firewall and made it look like this:

config zone
        option name 'lan'
        option input 'ACCEPT'
        option output 'ACCEPT'
        option forward 'ACCEPT'
        option network 'lan’

Restarted the firewall /etc/init.d/firewall restart and all was well--no more exposure on port 80 on the internet! After reloading the webpage for LuCl the zone config was correct there also, maybe this is a small bug in LuCl??

Sincere thanks to @krazeh for the help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.