Pi-hole as dns when dhcp is disabled

Hi...
following this guide: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/dumbap I've configured a TP-Link C20i and all work fine. OpenWrt version is 21.02.2 r16495-bf0c965af0

DHCP and DNS are both provided by the "main" router (let's say 198.168.1.1) while OpenWrt C20i is at 192.168.1.2. Now I wish to use as DNS server 192.168.1.3 where I've installed Pi-Hole...

I've tried several ways found in this forum, on Reddit and elsewhere but I cannot achieve that DNS requests are served by Pi-Hole.

Any help? Any tips? Any link to a similar set up that I can use?

Thanks in advance,
.m.

You need to tell your DHCP server to advertise 192.168.1.3 as the DNS server. This happens on your main router (since it is currently your DHCP server), not on your C20i.

Is your main router running OpenWrt?

Or, if you can disable the dhcp on the main router, you could use the pi as a replacement.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I cannot touch the main router...

:cry:

I'm thinking to set OpenWrtC20i in order to serve a complete different network (i.e. 10.0.0.x) but I need some advice and help because I'm not a network person

Anyway, thanks for your answers

.m.

If your main router isn't using the 192.168.1 subnet, you could just plug the c20 in via the WAN port.

Do note you'll be double NATing.