PC Lan internet -> share via lan to router -> router share wifi

Linksys wrt320n. Open wrt Luci 18.06.
Need:

1. share internet from usb hotspot of iphone connected to PC to router Linksys wrt320n via LAN. Router share the internet via own hotspot.

Could you help to solve it?

Current settings:

Is this for the sake of experiment or is there an actual need for that?

Thank you once again for your help.
I thought that I have professional router.
But I cannot really make it as repeater.
It’s the last attempt, or buying a new one.

Well, there are few points to consider:

• This last idea (phone hotspot > share PC connection > Router is very much complicated, has obvious disadvantages, including have to keep the PC on, which involves power consumption, wear, unnecessary technical complexity which will very likely bring its own problems.
  • If your internet connection is mainly a mobile one (e.g. 3G or 4G), and a mobile hotspot doesn't satisfy your needs, then your ideal solution would be a router that supports SIM cards or a 3G/4G USB dongle for a router that supports that.
  • The nxt best option would be what you tried to do i another post: mobile hotspot to router, as you tried with Travelmate on a separate post. I guess form your post here that it didn't work, but keep looking in that direction; it's certainly better that what you were trying to do here.

if you are going to buy a different router (or a dongle), consult https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_available_864 and also search the forum to make sure that the device you are considering doesn't have know issues. Also you could post on the forum asking people for their experience about the device you are considering.

1 Like

It should work with Linux PC, but I'm not sure about Windows.
If PC doesn't provide DHCP, then you should configure WAN statically.
Also some ISPs may require TTL tuning, everything else should be normal.

Sharing internet connection on Windows work. I haven't tried it with a router though. But it's not the best way to solve the problem.

1 Like

It seems to me that what you want to do is use the cellular network anchor in the router. The problem is that this model does not have a USB port. If you are buying a new router, go directly to one compatible with 4g SIM cards.

2 Likes

Thank you. But I want to try. If you know how to do it, please, help with it.

It's more straightforward to get internet for the router form iPhone directly. Using the PC as intermediate is unnecessary.

If you insist on doing it, I would suggest that you start by testing the shared connection from PC using another PC for example. Once you have confirmed that the shared connection s working, you can connect the router to the WAN port as DHCP client. You could also try connecting it to the LAN and turn DHCP off, but I'm not sure that would work.

1 Like