Package wg-installer-server.. howto needed

Hi,

I am new to OpenWrt and used it for few months with OpenVPN on a Hybrid-Router.
Now we switched to Starlink and OpenVPN won´t work, so I decided to switch from OpenVPN to Wireguard.
I installed every wireguard available and after updating to OpenWrt 21.02 I saw the new package "wg-installer-server" and want o know, how tu use it.. there are no websites online, showing how to use this package..

before I updated 19.07 to 21.02 I had wireguard configured, but it gave me error, there was no public key, so maybe this wg-installer is more newbie-friendly? :smiley:

Hi @superfun - welcome to the OpenWrt forums.

There's a bit to unpack here, so let's start here:

Why does OpenVPN no longer work? is this an issue of not having a public IP address? If so, things will be no different with WireGuard -- if you're setting up a VPN endpoint/server on your device, regardless of the VPN technology, you must have a public IP address. If you don't, you won't get anywhere (there are some workarounds using commercial VPNs as an intermediary, but that's a whole different ball of wax).

I hope you are not upgrading the packages. On 21.02, Wireguard is now integrated into the OS at a the kernel level, so you don't need to install or upgrade anything else. You may find that luci-app-wireguard is a useful addition, but that's really all you need.

Regarding upgrading packages, please read this.

I don't know what that wg-installer package really does, but WG is pretty easy to configure. There is a tutorial here. Have you followed this process yet? (keep in mind my first point, btw -- even a properly configure WG peer will not work as a server if you don't have a public IP).

1 Like

This package is from me and needs also some further coding for error handling. It allows to inject a wireguard instance to a server to automatize wireguard handling. Basically, it uses https to insert a public key on a server and opens up a wireguard instance and configures it also on client side. I use rpcd for doing all that so it is written in shell, and is easily extendable and can also just modified by everyone who is able to do shell scripting.

2 Likes

Thanks for chiming in about the package, @PolynomialDivision. If I'm reading your description properly, the package is a script that is designed to automate the creation of the interface, keys, and firewall rules? Certainly sounds like a useful script -- thank you for writing it :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Exactly. Go for it and do a PR. :wink: