Package luci-nginx - nginx server not starting up with package config

Dear OpenWrt community!

I have been deploying OpenWrt powered networks for home-use and even small companies for about 10 years. At the moment I'm experimenting with a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B - what a powerful device compared to my other TP-Link routers with 8 MB memory and 32/64 MB ram :slight_smile:

I'm using the latest nightly build from 2020-11-10.

Here comes the problem:

I installed the following package with all dependencies:

opkg install luci-nginx

With this setup, the nginx webserver doesn't start up, the following message appears in syslog:

[emerg] 1838#0: unknown directive "gzip" in /etc/nginx/nginx.conf:23

Just as hint for people, who probably see the same issue on their devices:

Replace the package nginx (which is missing gzip support although the OpenWrt default config requires it) with the following package:

nginx-all-module

Within an already installed system using opkg you get some troubles with dependencies trying to do so (they are resolveable).

My solution instead was to build my own image for the Raspbery Pi 4, with the working nginx-all-module package built in (and the not working nginx package disabled)

Hope that helps if someone is experiencing the same issues ...

1 Like

cc @Ansuel

Do you still have this? Also pls open an issue on github so we can track this in a better way

Hi Ansuel,

the problem still exists on a latest build using git master branch.
I will create a ticket on GitHub for this.

1 Like

remember to tag me

I'm having the same problem, hope it can be solved soon, it happens 2-3 months ago, but I don't where to ask until I see this topic

Hi @zcy85611

I just opened a bug in Github for this issue: