Orange light with Linksys e8450 after snapshot update

Thanks @anon89577378 for your king help, i am on below now, i am able to ping my router. could you please suggest how i can execute below commands, i am on windows 10

Thanks

read the top most text in your own screen shot ?

Correct @frollic, I tried SSH as below

I am able to ping but not able to connect.
Kindly advice

then use the other option in your screen shot, serial.

Getting below issue with SSH
connect to host 192.168.1.1 port 22: Connection timed out

we're aware, you posted it in your last post ...

doesn't contradict my last post.

Orange light usually means that the bootloader didn't find anything usable in the flash and is hence falling back to TFTP.
This can happen if you have flashed non-UBI sysupgrade image on a device which uses UBI or in any other way managed to kill even the recovery image stored in flash (not to be confused with failsafe mode, the recovery image allows to dual-boot into initramfs to flash or fix things in case the production image has been broken).

failsafe mode is not available at this point, as OpenWrt has not been loaded (the Orange LED would be off and white LED would be flashing).

So you will need to setup a TFTP server connected to a LAN port of the device listening on IP 192.168.1.254/24, it should serve the file openwrt-mediatek-mt7622-linksys_e8450-ubi-initramfs-recovery.itb which the router will request, write to the flash (so you have a working recovery image again) and then start it. From there, please upload and flash openwrt-mediatek-mt7622-linksys_e8450-ubi-squashfs-sysupgrade.itb.

Let me know how it goes :wink:

6 Likes

Yes, you are saying about serial its not easy to use. i have to open my router and its hardware process i think.

You won't need to connect the serial console. Just serve the recovery file via TFTP.

Ah, there's a TFTP recovery!

Should probably be added to the wiki page ...

Yes, the new U-Boot which comes with the UBI installer does TFTP recovery (can be requested by holding the RESET button on boot, but it's also the last resort if everything else has failed).
The vendor loader does not offer that.

So it's a "side effect" of installing openwrt?

(haven't read the long RT3200/E8450 thread, tbh)

Dear @daniel, thanks for your reply, I am connected on lan0 and with 192.168.1.254/255.255.255.0
in username: 192.168.1.1 pass: my router password, file i have tried both which you have given but
I am getting error: unable to get response from the server.
Kindly advice.

Thanks

Yes, as the installer has to replace everything to make UBI work from bottom up, it also comes with a replacement U-Boot loader built from source. I took that opportunity to do some things there the vendor loader doesn't (apart from supporting UBI):

• allow to trigger TFTP or booting into on-flash recovery by holding RESET button
  • the loader now validates the complete image before booting it (vendor loader only validates kernel, but not the rootfs)
  • include netconsole (needs to be setup in U-Boot environment)
1 Like

You need to play the server role of TFTP. Other than FTP there is no username and password involved.

On UNIX systems, you can use tftpd-hpa and start it as root in the directory holding the files you want to serve:

sudo in.tftpd -L -v -s .

On Windows, I hear some people are using https://www.solarwinds.com/free-tools/free-tftp-server

Dear @daniel Not getting any response, but ping is fine to 192.168.1.24
Please suggest

You need to give you PC the IP address 192.168.1.254/24 as that's where the router will request the image from via TFTP.

what is 24 here, is this mask? you mean 192.168.1.254/255.255.255.0 ?
the above already tried, no response

The /24 means 24 out of 32 bits are used to identify the network, ie. netmask 255.255.255.0.
So you set correctly 192.168.1.254/255.255.255.0. Now start the TFTP server on that address and then power on the router. If that doesn't work, please share a bit more information about what you did:

• Do I understand correctly that you built the installer using the script yourself? (rather than using the ready-made binaries)
  • The title of the post suggests that things were running fine and then broke when you updated to a more recent snapshot build. Is that correct? If so, how did you upgrade to snapshot? Did you manually upload the file (as opposed to using auc or the attended sysupgrade feature in LuCI)? If so, which file was it and where did it come from?

Thanks @daniel for your kind support,
Nothing happens on TFTP while on router.

1. I used ready-made binaries.
  2. to update snapshot, i used option under UI menu to upgrade it, i was on OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r18615-408b6558e4 and upgrade to SNAPSHOT r18639-f5865452ac

Why i have do?
i got the issue as below, so i tried it.
https://forum.openwrt.org/uploads/default/original/3X/8/b/8bb631c69577816fa6b256a31110ae9acb758cf2.png

Thanks.