Optimized build for the D-Link DIR-860L

9 2.4 GHz networks and 5 5 GHz networks here so a bit noisier.
@pivanov84, @ShvetsIvan how many networks do you have in your neighborhood?

I'm going to test 18.06RC1 this evening an i've got a "very noisy" Wifi environment over here (2.4 + 5GHz).
Any idea when 18.06 stable will be released ?

If you do, let me know if the 5 GHz band dies after a while

not noisy at all. @Bartvz - for me the router dies, my main laptop is wired and still can not access it (web/ssh), only reboot fixes it.

Could it also be something that was accidentally introduced in Bart's build? Perhaps due to certain packages, compiler options, compiler version or a "dirty" build environment? I think testing the regular 18.06RC1 build would be the best to keep the amount of variables to a minimum. If you still encounter issues in that build, we can start tracking down which commit broke stuff.

The 18.06RC1 images for the Dir-860l B1 can be found here: https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/18.06.0-rc1/targets/ramips/mt7621/

Im with 18.06RC1 right now, so far everything seems to be allright...
I was able to install my needed etable packages + luci-ssl-openssl + luci-theme-material and my Sony TV Prime Video 1080p problem is also gone...

What do you want me to test ? Only the Wifi @5Ghz ?

Yeah, whether it remains stable over the coming days or whether it dies down like some people are reporting :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Mushoz, btw did you tested the 5GHz performance via iperf ?
I would really like to see some throughput tests and check if i can achieve the same speeds...

Yes, 530 mbit upload and 270 mbit download to my Phone on 5ghz WiFi. That's very close to my router though.

270mbps download doesn't sound so great imho...
I would like to test this with my Intel AC 8260 but i need to set up iperf first...
Im trying to find a simple guide now so i dont make any mistakes.

Make sure you run iperf3 on 2 different computers. One wired, the other one wireless. Don't run iperf3 on the router itself, because the router's CPU will bottleneck the test. And agreed, the download speed isn't that great. Not sure if it's my phone or the router. Will test with a 5ghz laptop soon.

1 Like

Not a single one on 5GHz, but up to 20 on the 2.4GHz range (I got lazy counting after 15).
Just for the fun of it, chcked that channel selection does not make a difference, although this info probably is of no value.

If I remember correctly, the stock firmware reached around the same numbers (LAN >> 5 GHz WiFi). Also, most phones do not have more than two antennas so they will not be able to max out the theoretical speed.
What I normally use with iperf3 for quick and dirty testing are the following commands:
On the server: "iperf3 -s"
On the client: "iperf3 -c ip.of.server -t 60s"

Alright, so that throws my noisy environment hypothesis out of the window. If @Kherby and @Mushoz 5GHz does not go into limbo it is definitely something in my build.

I haven't encounter any problem with 18.06RC1 after ~22hours of usage, all stable but keep in mind that i use my DIR-860L only as a Smart-Switch with AP.
Only the mem usage seems to be a bit higher compared to 17.1.04 Snapshot (61-62% vs 72-74%)...
The wifi performance is very good and stable so far but i haven't done a iperf test yet. Will try to get it done this evening...

Software flow offloading doesn't make sense with my setup right ?

on the side note - do we really need openssl and https for the router admin. I was setting up a tp-link 1043nd couple of weeks ago and since it has a lot less space i decided not to install openssl, instead i leave the web ui closed from internet, login with ssh with dynamic port forwarding and can open http://192.168.1.1 or whatever - plain and secure.

It's not needed in a private network but i prefer to have all my GUI's run at https... :wink:

Still going strong here. No issues whatsoever. Most stable build I have been using.

Same here, all stable after ~1day 22h.

ipferf test @5GHz:

[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]   0.00-60.00  sec  1.51 GBytes   216 Mbits/sec                  sender
[  4]   0.00-60.00  sec  1.51 GBytes   216 Mbits/sec                  receiver

My Wifi adapter (intel AC 8260) is connected with 866,7 Mbit/s @Channel 36 and the server via 1Gbit/s Ethernet.
I was hoping for more... :confused:

edit@2.4GHz:

[  4]   0.00-60.00  sec   279 MBytes  39.0 Mbits/sec                  sender
[  4]   0.00-60.00  sec   279 MBytes  39.0 Mbits/sec                  receiver

iperf Done.

With the latest Intel Wifi driver it got a bit better:

5GHz:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[  4]   0.00-60.00  sec  1.93 GBytes   276 Mbits/sec                  sender
[  4]   0.00-60.00  sec  1.93 GBytes   276 Mbits/sec                  receiver

iperf Done.

edit: LAN >> LAN

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[  4]   0.00-60.00  sec  6.56 GBytes   939 Mbits/sec                  sender
[  4]   0.00-60.00  sec  6.56 GBytes   939 Mbits/sec                  receiver

iperf Done.

Can you try the WiFi performance in the reverse direction by using the -R switch on the iperf3 client?