Opkg opkg upgrade results in resolve_conffiles

Linksys EA3500
LEDE Reboot 17.01.4 r3560-79f57e422d / LuCI lede-17.01 branch (git-17.290.79498-d3f0685)

opkg update
opkg list-upgradable (this listed about 30 out-of-date packages)
opkg list-upgradable | cut -f 1 -d ' ' | xargs opkg upgrade

This resulted in:

Collected errors:
 * resolve_conffiles: Existing conffile /etc/config/dhcp is different from the conffile in the new package. The new conffile will be placed at /etc/config/dhcp-opkg.
 * resolve_conffiles: Existing conffile /etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key is different from the conffile in the new package. The new conffile will be placed at /etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key-opkg.
 * resolve_conffiles: Existing conffile /etc/config/dropbear is different from the conffile in the new package. The new conffile will be placed at /etc/config/dropbear-opkg.
 * resolve_conffiles: Existing conffile /etc/config/luci is different from the conffile in the new package. The new conffile will be placed at /etc/config/luci-opkg.
 * resolve_conffiles: Existing conffile /etc/config/uhttpd is different from the conffile in the new package. The new conffile will be placed at /etc/config/uhttpd-opkg.

What happened here? All I tried to do was to ensure I am not running any outdated packages? Is my system hosed?

Thanks

See this post and the reply to it which explains the resolve_conffiles messages...

Ok, so in this case these particular packages that were updated use a different type (syntax? options?) of configuration file. That new file gets the "-opkg" treatment; but what does this mean practically? Do I need to merge these two files and remove "-opkg" once completed? Sorry I am lost here.

dropbear
config dropbear
option Port '22'
option Interface 'lan'
option PasswordAuth 'off'
option RootPasswordAuth 'off'

dropbear-opkg
config dropbear
option PasswordAuth 'on'
option RootPasswordAuth 'on'
option Port '22'
# option BannerFile '/etc/banner'

It's just telling you it didn't touch those files.

Nothing to worry about.

1 Like

The new "-opkg" contains the current defaults config contents of the updated new package version, while the old config file contains your old settings.

As opkg in unsure if you want to keep your own config settings (e.g. disabling password login, like you have done above), it did not overwrite the config file with new defaults, but just placed a "-opkg" copy of the new defaults for your information. Depending on the nature of the possible changes, you may want to copy possible new essential settings from the -opkg file, but that may not be necessary.

In most cases there is nothing to worry, just like jwoods says.

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love "-OPKG".
Ok, so I treat the -OPKG version as the new default, but changes to configuration settings chould happen to the sans-OPKG version; at which point I may consult the -OPKG version to see, if there are new options / features I may want to take advantage off? Then I would copy the appropriate syntax from -OPKG to the sans-OPKG configuration file?
Inquiring minds just want to understand the logic.

Thanks guys

Yes.
Usually you do not need the -opkg file for anything.

1 Like