OpenWrt support for Wifihome Gpon HG6245D

Hi, is it can get firmware openwrt of this device gpon HG6245D ,Knowing that I have full access to the settings of this router (superadmin account)
With the option to activate FTP server.

It's no a supported device - https://openwrt.org/toh/start

but feel free to post lspci and dmesg.

1 Like

I found name of card wifi : broadcom bcm43217kml
Is it any router has same this card.

Broadcom is a dead end, from an openwrt point of view.

1 Like

Like cable and LTE, GPON has multiple customers passively sharing the same physical link, which means that faulty or malicious firmware in a modem can disrupt the service of other customers. So open source GPON isn't a thing as ISPs demand only "certified" devices attached to their network.

But in this case, the stock firmware is worse than Swiss cheese:
https://pierrekim.github.io/blog/2021-01-12-fiberhome-ont-0day-vulnerabilities.html

1 Like

I am sorry, but that is the biggest bullcrap I have ever heard as an explanation against opensource GPON. First of all, the GPON PMD can be completely closed source, as the user equipment does not need access to that part at all, and the OLT is always in charge of the transmit opportunities on the shared media. So no, you cannot just start transmitting with a rouge device f*cking up service on the segment for others, as you would need to hack the L2 controller to do something against the direct command of the OLT. This is not a driver level thing. For that you need to hack into and take control of the transceiver. Not impossible, but definitely has nothing to do with an opensource based CPE or ONT. The downlink (and nowadays quite of then the uplink as well) is also encrypted, so even listening to the segment will yield no meaningful result... And on GPON there is nothing you can do on the client side to get for example more speed compared to the subscribed amount, as both the downlink and uplink shaping is done on the OLT side as well.

1 Like