OpenWrt support for WAX206

There's no compatible in your dts. Maybe it works when using the same chunk from mt7622-linksys-e8450.dtsi?

&slot0 {
	wmac1: wifi@0,0 {
		compatible = "mediatek,mt76";
		reg = <0x0000 0 0 0 0>;
		ieee80211-freq-limit = <5000000 6000000>;
		mediatek,disable-radar-background;
	};
};

Just new to openwrt, after update with the flashable image , how to make the device to internet

tried to make wan as eth0 , but it does not connect the internet

you shouldn't have, the buildable images are experimental, at best.

IMHO

Thanks you, I'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know.

It really is very early stages and is not ready for everyday use.

Having said that connecting to WAN should work. The wan ports works only in 1G if you used the wax206/flashable-1Gbit branch. The wan port will get an IP in the default OpenWrt configuration.

What do you mean be 'tried to make wan as eth0'?

What would be sensible tests?

With the current DTS with no compatible entry - but wmac0 and wmac1 entries I can connect to both 2.4G and 5G bands with an iPhone 11 Pro. Encryption is set to mixed WPA2/WPA3 PSK, SAE (CCMP)

2.4G

and 5G

Compile from the flash branch ,but the wan port not working ,

except for target and sub target set in menuconfig, anything needed for the wan port

I've been using mine as an AP for about 5 days now on your branch. Working totally fine but I am just using the LAN ports (and wifi)

1 Like

Just flahback to netgear and to openwrt, the wan port finally works

1 Like

I think letting people test it, is good enough.

Are you running it over the 2.5gbe yourself, that would be the setup in my case.

Yes, right now while testing it runs in router mode from initramfs but I will eventually use it as an AP with the 2.5GbE port connecting to one of the 2.5GbE port of the (N5105 based) router.

I'm not very far yet in fixing the 2.5GbE port, well the very rudimentary fix works with printk()s when running from initramfs. But not if flashed (where printk() don't work for some reason). So there's some very wrong with what I tried.

No worries, no rush, no pressure.

I just wanted to know if you had the ability to test it at 2.5 yourself...

The WAN port is connected to a QNAP QSW-M1204-4C for now and that does allow me to test it, yes.

1 Like

Huh, so it's probably redundant for mt7622-linksys-e8450.dtsi too? Anyway, nice to see that wifi works!
Is someone able to test if a 802.11s mesh setup works?

I'm not familiar with the related code, but it sounds like this could be a piece of the puzzle, maybe? https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/Y1qDMw+DJLAJHT40@shell.armlinux.org.uk/T/#u

1 Like

I have seen this to for the "admin" account.

I found here that you can telnet into the router and change the password for the root user: https://github.com/sookido/netgear_wax206

After that you can login with the root user and the new password into luci interface.

It looks to me that all the config option are there, even though it seems that UI is a bit outdated version?

We did too, 4 months ago OpenWrt support for WAX206 - #29 by frollic

Because it's not an "official" openwrt release ...

Yes, that's true, several ways actually!
The change of the HTML code described by @patient0 works best for me.

My point was more regarding access to luci which was mentioned earlier not to work:

By setting a password for the root user it's possible. That's all I wanted to share.

Apologizes if I mention something you already know. I am new to this and think you guys doing amazing stuff here. Just wanted to contribute something where/if I can.

2 Likes

All that feedback sounds pretty good to me!
How about opening a PR, review commenters might even help solving the 2.5g port issue?

1 Like

Any chance I can get an image to test without having to setup a build system?

Get a free cloud host on AWS, Azure or Oracle...