OpenWrt support for Asus AX1800HP

Well ax54 n ax53u use the same device tree.

The device tree they use had defined the partition ad follow :

Yes, I know that. But we're not using the space from Kernel2 and jffs2 in OpenWrt currently, and that's just wasted (50MB+16MB).

But we're not using the space from Kernel2 and jffs2 in OpenWrt currently, and that's just wasted (50MB+16MB).

why u dont use space from Kernel2 and jffs2?

As I've said, we have a pending PR for this, https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/11806
But I still want to test some install/update scenarios as that device is already added with that space unused.

ok btw i notice the uboot will copy kernel2 to kernel when kernel is broken and not empty. (the uboot will boot from kernel 2 if kernel is empty)

I've made a short test here:

It does not boot from kernel2, it can't do that.
It can only copy Kernel2 to Kernel and boot Kernel.
I have not tested what happens when both Kernel and Kernel2 partitions are trashed.
I have not tested what happens when jffs2 is trashed and you go back to stock.
That's why some more testing is required.
And I'd still want to have nested partitions on these devices to go back to stock easier.

I have not tested what happens when both Kernel and Kernel2 partitions are trashed.

it will enter rescue mode.

i have tested it again i noticed i was wrong.

:partying_face:Yeah the mr has be merged.:partying_face:

yeah, but you didn't remove the useless extra ax54 ALT entry like I've told you above.

Yeah i didnt

First snspshot build for it : https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/?version=SNAPSHOT&target=ramips%2Fmt7621&id=asus_rt-ax54

Hoping for a little help.

I have an Asus RT-AX1800S. A couple of weeks ago, I installed the snapshot build via the mtd-write method and everything seemed grand. I rebooted it a few times, everything worked as expected.

Then I put it on the shelf to work on some other things.

Today I got the router back off the shelf, ready to finish setting it up to my preferences... and... it doesn't boot anymore. No idea why, as it worked just fine when I put it up.
I used the Asus Firmware Restoration tool to restore it to factory, which worked fine.
Then re-flashed it with a fresh OpenWRT snapshot, which did not.

I think it's boot-looping. The LED comes on for a few seconds and I get a link detection light on the Ethernet port, then the light goes out; after a few seconds, this repeats.

Open to any suggestions... The hardware seems fine, it works with the stock firmware. But I'd really love to have OpenWRT running on it instead!

Did you flash the firmware intended for AX53U at any point?

I don't believe so. I've tried only Snapshot builds from the Firmware Selector for the RT-AX54. First the snapshot from 2023-04-12 (the one that worked for a while, then mysteriously stopped working) then the firmware from 2023-04-24.

Can you try flashing via Asus Firmware Restoration Tool the initramfs-kernel image from here?
After booting that you can flash the sysupgrade image.
(those are builds containing LuCI, sources as of today).
Steps also mentioned here (for AX53U).
This avoids flashing the stock firmware twice.

Thanks for your help!

This has resulted in partial success... The initramfs-kernel image works fine. I used the Asus tool to flash it and boot into it.

Using the sysupgrade isn't going so well, though. I tried doing the upgrade via luci and also by scping the sysupgrade image to /tmp and running sysupgrade from the shell. I've tried using the sysupgrade image from your build directory and from the Firmware Selector. None of them seem to stick -- I'm still in the initramfs version after rebooting. Weird.

Without serial it's hard to know what the router doesn't like.
But I'll try building a few images later and see if we can figure out what it doesn't like.
And I'll also test the latest images on AX53U because I honestly didn't have the chance yet, maybe something broke in master.
LE: but something broken in master recently wouldn't explain your old install not booting anymore.

I've included a new build in that folder, please flash the new initramfs via the Firware Restoration tool and then sysupgrade to this version.
Please use only the files from that folder, 20230426-001-README-1ST, do not sysupgrade to some other build.