OpenWrt Support for Armor G5 (NBG7815)

You need kmod-mtd-rw and load this module with correct flag insmod mtd-rw.ko i_want_a_brick=1. I don't know if this is the correct way but last time I did something like this. You do it at your own risk.

2 Likes

That sound good. Beside that the fan is starting also if the temp is e. g. 77° if 75°+hys is still not reached. So hys is like a thermal window.

I've found a pdf sheet for TMP302A from TI. It is telling that:
It turns the fan on when it gets to 60° and does turn off until it gets 50°C. With pins you can set a trip-low and a trip-high. In doing so trip-high temp is set to 60°C. The fan will remain on until hysteresis temp (set via pin 5° or 10° aka trip-low (50°C) is met.

cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone12/trip_point_0_*

is telling:

active

So the values are there ...

1 Like

hi,have you a list of patch and the procedure to install? thanks. i have installed last firmware and luci only.

You cannot just install a patch if you refer to a patch touching any binary on a system. You need to get the sources, apply the desired patch and compile an image. What you want to patch is up to you. The only things missing for this specific device is a heat/fan control and led support. For this you could use a patch. Other patches making sense only if you look close to development/developers repositories and you are eager to test things (without compliant here). Beside that there are several ppl. mentioned within this thread providing builds for this specific device with those patches integrated already.

2 Likes

thanks , who can share this full firmware ?

can you please share a firmware complite with the plugin integrate? i need to understand if this router is ok for my connnection or not.

Irresponsible solution here. This is probably a bad idea if you don't know what you are doing. Also if you know.

3 Likes

I appreciated it so much, as a forum like this should be, it also helps those who know little. Thank you very much

1 Like

I've recently got this router for a very good price and I'm going to use it directly connected to the ONT. I'm pretty much a newbie on OpenWRT as I've installed it only once, I've read most of the thread but I still have some doubts:

• Is there any way to update to a newer version of OpenWRT that doesn't break the "easy" way to get back to stock firmware? I have 0 experience on serial, so I'd like to avoid that.
  • What's the current status of WiFi on this router? I've read about some issues with MAC address changing after reboots, 8x8/160MHz not supported and generally lower stability compared to stock, are those still present nowadays?
  • I've seen a lot of recent changes regarding ipq807x in the source recently, what could that mean for OpenWRT support for this device?
  • Is the power consumption of this device generally "high"? I've only run it on stock but it seems to get quite hot, I wonder if that's due to bad dissipation or CPU inefficiency.
  • Is there any way to unlock some features, such as VLAN tagging, from a rooted/SSH stock firmware?

Many thanks in advance.

My 2 cents:

• I later realized that I've probably already burned the stock firmware after a bunch of sysupgrades. If you are aware you can probably also avoid that situation by handling the updates manually
  • WiFi is working well and I find it as stable as my previous Unifi device. I've not tested the 160KHz band yet (it should be the problematic one) but a quick wan speedtest reached over 600Mbps over 5GHz/80MHz so right now I'm good with it. MAC changing was related to a previous version and AFAIK is fixed by Now
  • Active support is a good thing :slight_smile: Possibly we'll see it in stable sooner or later. I'm not sure LED/Fan patches are already pushed as PR in the snapshot branch
  • While the power brick is not really on the low side (it's rated at ~40W) and the router itself runs indeed quite hot, I'm currently measuring less than 15W together with my ISP ONT (estimated@5W), peaking at 17W. I know they are not really comparable but it's about 20W less than my previous setup (PoE switch+U6E AP, all set up in low power mode). Low power+multigig was the selling point for me
  • I wouldn't bet on it

On the other side of things, keep in mind you currently need to run things on the snapshot branch, best way is building your own image if you need specific kmods (e.g. crypto extensions for VPNs like witeguard, ISP specific WAN connections like MAP, and so on) and patches for LED/Fan support.
Also, the fan is noticeable when spinning, I have to look into that to find an alternative, like opening the case or using an external 12cm fan to keep it colder.

@asvio have you had a chance to test your nss branch? Should it provide better performances/lower power usage? Any noteworthy issue, or it could be considered as (in)stable as a snapshot build?

Thank you for your reply.

• How can I "handle updates manually"? Is there any guide to do so?
  • Seems a better situation than I was expecting, but could 160MHz support come in future builds or is somehow out of reach?
  • Good to hear that stable support could come!
  • It seems it consumes a bit more than the average but not as much as I expected, is that with both 5GHz radio on? I could also use a 12cm fan as I have some spare or add some thermal pads, but I've found no pictures of the internal and no guidance on what needs to be done to open it; anyway if power consumption could be lower that could already suffice.

I've no experience in making my own build and due to my scarce experience is hard even to understand what I would actually need to add, I know that I'd like to set up Remote Desktop to be available from outside my home and connect the router directly to the ONT with Tim Italy provider, so probably you described my use case. Also, could I build on WSL? It seems unofficially possible but again I've not found any complete guide.

I'm not sure if you can go back to factory firmware after you'll sysupgrade openwrt.
If there is a way it will be risky and not easy.

At this moment i can't make work 160mhz. If there's a way i don't know it.
8x8 is not possible now with this device and it I'm not sure if it will be ever possible.
The problem here is the way 8x8 is implemented on this device. it is not a trully 8x8.

ipq807x is relative a new platform for openwrt. My thoughts are the good support will be when 24.xx openwrt will arrive.

Don't know about power consumption, but heat is high and also temp. If your room is more than 25ºC or If you use usb and/or 10g port you will need to make the fan works for stability and performance.

I think this is not a place to ask about stock firmware, maybe others have different thoughts.

Some days ago i installed it and it was a nightmare. I had problems with wire, wifi and dns. they could be related to my own config but I need this config and if it not work it is not good for me. I tried both, bitthief fork and AgustinLorenzo fork. My actual branch is based on AgustinLorenzo. I saw he had tag another release. Maybe i will try again

1 Like

hi all, if is possible sent me the configurazion for ONT ftth? create interface and device whit VLAN ? after the work i try, in this moment have congifureted a device with lan 1 and insert vlan id, i have created a interface WAA pppoe and under divece i have selected the device lan1.100 created before. is correct? please if have others indication sent me, i understand with the screenshot on luci. many thanks

@pwned and others in fan implementation.
I misundestood how thermal works. I rewrite this post to avoid misunderstandings.

My apologies for the error.

The only way I can think of is stop all services, backup -> manually overwrite with dd the kernel and data partition -> Reboot -> restore. I don't even know if it is possible in the boot partition

Regarding the fan, has anyone disassembled a G5? I'm curious if the fan can be replaced, or even converted to a PWM one (not sure about that considering the 0/1 control currently in use).
I'll probably just swap it with a USB one with a potentiometer :slight_smile: the router is working quite well but I'm starting to hate that buzzing.

1 Like

@robimarko:

We've found the option to make the fan reliable spinning up and down. We have to enable a Kernel config option:

CONFIG_THERMAL_GOV_BANG_BANG=y

and set it in:

/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone12/policy

to bang_bang. While step_wise is the default (it is a hard default from kernel side).

I've found a parameter to set it within the DTS file but it would need a kernel patch (afaik).

What would be the proper way to set the thermal policy for this specific zone in OpenWrt on boot? We don't have systemd/udev for sysfs.

2 Likes

For those interested, the router is actualy around 80€ on Amazon.it

2 Likes

I am not aware of any way to change the default though I see the point with bang bang

1 Like