OpenWrt pfSense Access Point Only

Hi,

Already have looked at this. But still can't get it to work.

This is what I have tried:

1. Reset the OpenWRT router to factory settings
  2. Change the default OpenWRT LAN IP to the same network as pfSense LAN (192.168.8.253/24), then connect a laptop (with an IP address of 192.168.8.10) to its LAN port and can access LUCI and can also ssh
  3. Now disable DHCP Server via ssh
    uci set dhcp.lan.ignore=1
    uci commit dhcp
    /etc/init.d/dnsmasq disable
  4. Disable DHCPv6 Server
    uci set dhcp.lan.dhcpv6=disabled
    uci set dhcp.lan.ra=disabled
    uci commit
    /etc/init.d/odhcpd disable
    /etc/init.d/odhcpd stop
  5. Disable Firewall
    /etc/init.d/firewall disable
    /etc/init.d/firewall stop
  6. Apply changes /etc/init.d/network reload

Now, if I connect the pfSense to WAN port on the router, it gets a DHCP address from the pfSense LAN network (192.168.8.111) on its WAN. and I can then access the router at 192.168.8.111 address and not the 192.168.8.253 address that I statically assigned earlier.
But if I connect the LAN cable from pfSense box to one of OpenWRT LAN ports, I can't ping the 192.168.8.253 either which as mentioned above was statically assigned to OpenWRT LAN.

What am I doing wrong???

All I want is OpenWRT to become a dumb AP. Devices connecting to it should get their IP assigned by pfSense

How do I achieve this in clear and step by step process?

Please copy the output of the following commands and post it here using the "Preformatted text </> " button:
grafik
Remember to redact passwords, MAC addresses and any public IP addresses you may have:

cat /etc/config/network
cat /etc/config/wireless

Perhaps you should follow https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/dumbap

2 Likes

Can confirm this guide works perfectly.

Tried it on the Netgear R7800 and Archer C7 (v5) with OPNsense as the main router.

2 Likes

None of the steps you quoted reconfigured the WAN port in any way, meaning it remains as a separate network configured as DHCP client. That's not a problem if you opt to ignore its presence and continue to use one of the LAN ports as uplink, but if you insist on using the WAN port, you will have to configure it accordingly (dropping it from WAN and making it a member of the LAN bridge/ LAN VLAN, depending on your hardware).

2 Likes

This helped me massively, thanks. I will list the complete step by step down below for someone n00b like myself :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.