OpenWRT on new Keenetic Wi-Fi routers (white color)?

I've discovered Keenetic Wi-Fi routers the other day. It appears that they are made by Zyxell, but the Keenetic brand was span off as an independent brand in 2017. Here's the brochure for all of the Keenetic current models.

What's really impressive with these routers is the fact that they have:

• Managed switch
  • VLANs
  • PBR
  • Real naked IPSec client and server options (along with OpenVPN, L2TP over IPsec, WireGuard, etc.)
  • Multi-WAN
  • Hardware Crypto accellerator
  • Two of the models in this brochure have a combo Copper / SFP port for connecting to the WAN
  • Three-year warranty
  • LTE modem support with Multi-WAN and failover
  • Cisco-style CLI
  • And more

There are three interesting models in this brochure:

• Viva (KN-1910) - AC1300 Wave 2 - no SFP, no amplifiers, 128 MB DDR3, MT7621A (880 MHz) CPU
  • Giga (KN-1010) - AC1300 Wave 2 - SFP, 4 amplifiers, 256 MB DDR3, MT7621A (880 MHz) CPU
  • Ultra (KN-1810) - AC2600 Wave 2 - SFT, 8 amplifiers, 256 MB DDR3, MT7621A (880 MHz) CPU

The comparison table is on Page 15 of this PDF brochure.

This detailed review of the KN-1010 router is a very interesting read.

I wonder if there is an ongoing effort to port OpenWRT to these routers. The presence of the hardware VPN accelerator is a huge plus IMHO.

It appears that this brand is EXTREMELY popular in Russia right now. I'm not sure if the development for the Keenetic firmware is based in Russia, but I know they have a huge market share in Russia. I think they are also big in Turkey and probably in Eastern Europe as well.

Thanks

1 Like