OpenWrt on Meraki MR42

Has anybody been able to develop a image for the mr42 or is it possible to build a image myself or are the attenas not open source

Thanks,
Collin

1 Like

(Moved to the For Developers section.)

I don't see any public information on the internals of the MR42, so I'm not sure how someone could develop an Open Source image. Are you saying that you're willing to provide them???

Can you provide a link to the device's hardware specifications?

Also, this link may be helpful to you: https://openwrt.org/toh/start

If a device isn't listed, it's not supported.

1 Like

Would I obtain them from Cisco themselves

1 Like

Huh...obtain what from Cisco?

You'd crack open the device and take pictures, connect to the serial port, etc. Then you'd make a list of the model numbers of the chips, and post them here.

You can also provide a link to a WikiDev page (I already looked, though).

People can't "guess" a firmware image into being - you haven't even said what CPU the thing has installed.

1 Like

Oh sorry,I’m fairly new to the open source development community, my mr42 arrives Thursday and I will upload internal images and a list of the components using uart.

2 Likes

If you don't plan to use it with the built-in firmware, you should avoid to let it connect to the Internet. it may update its firmware, and this may make it more difficult to hack the device later.

3 Likes

I'm buying it used off of eBay so I'm sure it's been connected to the internet

1 Like

What does eBay have to do with YOU connecting it again?

@frtz is telling you not to plug it in, so you don't risk an automated upgrade to a firmware that's harder to flash to OpenWrt.

1 Like

I'm saying it's probably been plugged in recently by the previous owner

2 Likes

I have taken pictures of the Mr42(inside and out), I'm having troubles booting into uboot but I do have access to the meraki shell via the male headers I soldered on to the serial pads.

1 Like

@lleachii Hi mate, sorry to resurrect this thread, but I've got pretty much the same question as the other chap above: got an MR42 that I would really like to convert to OpenWRT.

Aside from it being stuck to a bankrupt company's license (I didn't know at the time and can't resolve it now without buying a new license), I would prefer not to use the Cloud Management BS.

In short, I want something for my house, and if I can help the community by providing an image/dump of this somehow, so much the better.

Any idea where I need to begin?

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

I've read the topic linked below, but it appears to have been dead and buried, so I'm starting a new one!

I have an MR42 AP that I want to flash OpenWRT onto but it appears that I lack both the skill and resources to make this happen from scratch. It seems there is an OpenWRT build for MR33 but not MR42.

Can anyone help me, or tell me what I can do from my side in order to help one of the devs on here to be able to generate an OpenWRT build as easily as possible - apparently photos of the internal is what's required?

Thanks in advance!!

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/openwrt-on-meraki-mr42/32193

1 Like

Knowing "everything" about the device and having one on the bench is generally required. Knowing all the primary chips involved can help to determine if it is even possible. A boot log helps further. Even if it is "identical" to another model, it may have a locked boot loader, which would rule it out for anyone without the skills to flash a "bare" flash-memory chip.

The basic steps are outlined at https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/adding_new_device

1 Like

Thanks for your response Jeff - I think I've basically got my answer!
If you or anyone else is interested I can have a go a cracking it open to get to the chip(s) inside, that way it can at least be determined if OpenWRT might be possible in the future.
I imagine it probably would be locked, yes, given that it's coming from an enterprise environment, and as for flashing a bare chip, suffice it to say you're right.
If anyone UK based wants to have a crack I'm happy to post/send either photos or the device - I'd send internationally, but I'm not sure it'd be worth the effort on all side.

Thanks again.

1 Like

I have access to a number of MR42 units and am interested in running OpenWrt on it as well. A friend and I hooked up to the serial port and grabbed a boot log if anyone would be interested in seeing that.

Unfortunately we were unable to abort the U-boot process, so that may be an issue unless someone knows a way around that.

1 Like

If FCC is correct then its supportable.
All QCA HW:
IPQ8068, its a IPQ8064 v2.0 based SoC
QCA9889
QCA9992
Some Spansion NAND etc

2 Likes

Here's a link to the MR42 boot log I mentioned:

MR42 Bootlog

2 Likes

Hey,

Could you take a picture with the serial pins you used to get the bootlog?

Thanks

1 Like

Sure, a coworker has the physical setup so sorry for the delay. The connector in question is J3, to which we’ve soldered on a pin header — it will be just pads on other devices.

2 Likes

Yup, got a bootlog too, thanks !

Did you got anything new about the boot interruption ?

1 Like