OpenWrt now support ZTE F660 V3.0 and HGG420n

I have worked on this project for a long time.
This project is based on Leitec's openwrt for MI424WR-REVI.

This project is for ZTE F420/F460/F620/F660 V3.0 or HQW HGG420N with a Marvell 88f6560 SoC.

Not working:
voice chip/port(impossible to work)
G/EPON port(impossible to work)

Working:
four ETH ports
USB
GPIO LEDs
GPIO buttons
WLAN chip
(for F420/F620 v3, they don't have USB or WLAN chip)
I'm using it as a NAS server.
You must compile it by yourself, no binaries are offered.
Project link: https://github.com/msdos03/openwrt-avanta

To boot openwrt, you need to flash the uboot image in there.
For F420/F620/F460/F660 v3: https://github.com/msdos03/avanta-uboot-f660/releases
For HQW HGG420N: https://github.com/msdos03/avanta-uboot-hgg420n/releases

Follow these steps to flash uboot for them
Method1:

1. Prepare a UART to USB cable and log into the linux console of your box. Make sure you can do this, or you can only try other methods.
  2. Use tftp or usb disk to put the uboot image to your box.
  3. Use "dd if='path to uboot image' of=/dev/mtdblock0" to flash uboot image.

Method2:

1. Prepare a UART to USB cable and enter uboot console. Make sure you can enter uboot console, or you can only try other methods.
  2. set your PC ip address to 192.168.1.100, and set router address to 192.168.1.1. Then set up a tftp server, put the uboot image in the server directory.
  3. Connect the box to your PC with network cable. Use "tftp 'uboot image file name'" to download it to ram. Use "nand erase" to erase the whole flash and use "nand write 0x2000000 0x0 0x100000" to write uboot image to the head of flash.

Method3:
This method can be used when your box is bricked.

1. You need a linux system(I use ubuntu 20.04). It can be a virtual machine. Old versions are not suggested, they may not work with this method.
  2. connect your USB to UART cable to your linux system.
  3. Make sure you are root user.
  4. Install u-boot-tools software package(we need kwboot in it)
  5. Change to the directory of uboot image, and run "kwboot -t -p -B115200 /dev/ttyUSB0 -b 'uboot file name'". Then, power on your box and wait until uboot starts. Remember to enter uboot console.
  6. Follow step 2,3 in method 2 to flash uboot to nand.

Now you have the cuatom uboot on your box.

You should backup your whole NAND before flashing openwrt. You can plug a usb disk and use cat command to have a backup.

Q: How to flash openwrt?
A: You need to compile openwrt yourself and get the factory firmware.
1, Put it into the tftp server and download it to RAM just like before.
2, Use 'nand erase 0x100000' to erase the stock firmware(I believe you have erased it when you are flashing uboot)
3, Use 'nand write 0x2000000 0x100000 0xNNNNN' (replace NNNNN with the openwrt factory firmware size)
4, Reboot and enjoy!

2 Likes

You mean this one? https://openwrt.org/toh/zte/zxa10f660

1 Like

This device wiki contains two different versions of F660, mine just support the version with marvell 88f6560 SoC, which is called v3.0. F460 also have v3.0 and this openwrt also support that. Their only difference is that F460 v3.0 is an EPON modem, F660 v3.0 is an GPON modem.

My openwrt is recommended to use with my u-boot.

Where exactly do you see more than one version?

At the cpu info section and Loaded modules list section of that page, some broadcom SoC information are mentioned. They are not from v3.0.

This device page is out of time now. How about updating it.

Good thinking, do it.

1 Like

hi
interesting project, how do you enter uboot console?
thanks

first, connect the UART port

Then, open putty or other tty programs on your computer and choose your serial port and select 115200 baudurate.
After that, power on your modem and keep pressing 'enter'.
Just like that.

Now, I had ported the latest openwrt snapshot to this modem so the kernel size is changed to 3M. Don't forget to change 'bootcmd' after flashing U-Boot.

1 Like

hello

interesting project, one question, I have an F660 from November 2014, so my question is the following, how do I know what the F660 3.0 is? because I am about to take a risk and try to modify this router that I have without use (it is from the Spanish company jazztel-orange)

PD: sorry but i'm using for the google translate

Look at the picture above, if your F660's curcuit board is the same, you can sure that it is F660 v3. Don't worry if your curcuit board have more chips and ports. The picture above is an F420 v3, it doesn't have WLAN chip or USB port.