OpenWrt installation on Netgear R8000

Hello! I'm attempting to follow the install instructions for a brand new Netgear R8000 which came with Firmware Version V1.0.4.46_10.1.63.

According to the R8000 info page, this install should be as simple as downloading the most recent version, logging into the router, and then using the built in upgrade system to flash the update and get to OpenWrt.

"As of OpenWrt 19.07, the R8000 can be flashed to OpenWrt through the stock web UI."

The version linked, however, did not pass the verification step and failed to update.

Any suggestions on what to try next? If I can't manage to get OpenWrt running, I'm planning on returning this router and downgrading to one that I can run OpenWrt on.

Thanks!

Be aware that the R8000 won't reach Gigabit speeds under OpenWrt. This may or may not be an issue for you.

Netgear just released a Firmware update June 2020, so maybe they changed something? I do know that I flashed the version i compiled from the master branch thru the web interface without issue, but it was before the June 2020 update. The speed issue is a deal-breaker for me, so I have reverted to stock.

That is very good to know and qualifies as a dealbreaker for me too. Thanks for the info!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.