Openwrt installation on N100 i226-V DDR5 8GB Ram 256GB NVMe

Hi all guys I intend to buy this mini PC

I have a couple of doubts because I have always used routers with Openwrt and I don't know how to use the terminal.

1)Is this mini pc correct? I have to connect it to the ONT for a Pppoe connection 1GB down and 300MB upload, in the future 2.5GB download and 500MB up (OpenWrt official software because I want to use sqm cake layer and traffic priorities)

2)How do you install openwrt? should I do something via terminal or just via USB? I think it comes with opnfense.

3)the mini pc is x86 right? I read something about Uefi but how do I understand what changes and if this has this problem.

4)where do I get the correct software for the mini PC? which version should I use? In case of problems, can the reset be done like a normal router? I saw that there is clr cmos so if I download openwrt and reset afterwards I still have openwrt as a system but it needs to be configured again right?
Thank you all

It’s setup OOTB as a firewall appliance, but if you want to use it as a router, you’ll also need a switch, and an AP for wireless devices. You can also run it from a USB stick for X86_64 by following:
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/installation/openwrt_x86#linux and
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/uefi-bootable-image
This will leave the included firmware as is on the internal drive and allow you play with it on OpenWrt.
Follow the guide for expanding the USB FS.

why does the switch have 4 ethernet ports? I wanted to use the xr500 as a cascade wireless device

Several options:

• mount the SSD to a PC via USB and dd the OpenWRT image.
  • run a live distro and dd the image onto the SSD.

In both cases it'll get rid of Opnsense.
You may have EFI boot issue in both cases (I'm running the non EFI image). Experiment with both EFI and non-EFI image and your BIOS.

At first, make a bootable OpenWrt USB and run OpenWrt from USB. You may need to connect a local DP / HDMI monitor and USB keyboard to change BIOS settings to make USB boot first. After booting OpenWrt from the USB you can use it to write an OpenWrt image to the NVMe and boot internally.

With the 4 ports you would connect one to your ONT and can bridge the other 3 for LAN devices such as wired PCs or wifi APs. This is a software bridge rather than hardware switching but the impact on performance for LAN-LAN traffic (e.g an NAS to a PC) is very minor. The ports do not supply PoE so you will need a "midspan" PoE injector or a PoE switch to power up APs that require PoE.

x86 OpenWrt does not support a pushbutton "reset to defaults" like a typical plastic router but you can use local keyboard/display or serial terminal to run the firstboot command which is a reset to defaults. Firstboot only works with a squashfs build, not the ext4.

2 Likes

Are NVMe SSDs detected out of the box, or do they require drivers? Once OpenWrt is running, drivers can be add online.
On my PC I use a msata drive. I have never used a miniPC with NVMe.

they should be detected by the kernel.

2 Likes

My understanding is that NVMe is software equivalent to mSATA but physically it is a soldered on chip instead of a pluggable module.

1 Like

No, that is not correct. NVMe modules present themselves as a PCIe device, while (m)SATA devices manifest as SCSI disk devices that are attached to some kind of HBA.

1 Like

Thank you for the explanation.
Do you know if netgear xr500 needs PoE. Would it be like the power supply?

It doesn't, it's a vanilla home router.

sorry but I didn't understand the translator translated it incorrectly for me. I'll rephrase the question: Does it work if I connect the xr500 to the mini PC or do I need the PPPoE switch?

You won't, just a vanilla ethernet cable.

Hi, my PC arrived this evening, I'll install openwrt, a couple of questions before I proceed, which installation file do you recommend? Does it change anything regarding performance? Which of the 4 ethernet ports is the WAN that should be connected to the Ont? and are the other 3 eth ports that will act as LANs working immediately or do I have to enable them somehow? Usually the router got buggy and no longer gave the IP address and other problems and in that case I reset the router instead with the mini PC do I have to redo the procedure with the pendrive and install the software again?Thanks

Not really.

One will be WAN, one LAN, rest will be unassigned.

With a PC, you can always use the console, unless you "really* break it.

so I choose the port which must be wan and when I install openwrt it recognizes by itself that that is the wan? because I saw a video that said that the eth1 port was assigned to the wan

It's based on what port is detected 1st and 2nd, since eth0 will be lan, eth1 will be wan, but you can't be sure of the order they're detected.

You might need Ethernet port order and status on X86

hi thanks for the help, I have done all the procedures but I can't install openwrt on the ssd, I downloaded COMBINED-EFI (SQUASHFS) and installed with rufus on a pendrive, everything works even if I reach a maximum of 600 mega with 95% CPU used and it seems strange to me but when I disconnect the openwrt key it doesn't work because it is not installed on the ssd. How do I install it on SDD? I tried to start the console I downloaded lsblk and then I tried to use these gunzips openwrt-*.img.gz dd if=openwrt-21.02.0-x86-64-generic-ext4-combined.img bs=1M of=/dev/Nve0n1 but it doesn't matter then I tried to download the package with wget https:but when I try to extract it it says not enough space (the partitions were deleted when I ran dd if= only the pendrive remained

This looks wrong.

If you booted Openwrt off an USB flash drive, store the compressed image in /tmp, and
zcat openwrt-23.05.3-x86-64-generic-ext4-combined-efi.img.gz > /dev/nvme0n1
The nvme dev name is probably wrong, you'll have to fix it.

You also picked an old version of Openwrt.

https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/?version=23.05.3&target=x86%2F64&id=generic

nothing to do says that the device does not have enough space, perhaps because it is formatted in fat 32 or because this version is openwrt-23.05.3-246e23c46400-x86-64-generic-squashfs-combined-efi.img.gz