OpenWrt in Proxmox - Router on a stick Configuration

Hello,
Right now I am using HP t530 thin client as a router configured as router on a stick with TP-Link TL-SG105E switch. I have 100/10 MBps FTTH connection.

t530 has 8 GB ram and to be honest it is totaly waste for as a router.

I would like to install Proxmox on t530 and virtualize OpenWrt inside Proxmox.
Has anyone tried similar configuration before? Am I able to do that with a single ethernet port? Do I need 2nd NIC for this purpose?
Do you have any recommendation for this situation?

Thank you in advance

Yes, I have some recommendations. :wink:
Your life will be a lot simpler if you maintain separate physical ports for the separate network functions.
If this tiny PC has an expansion port then insert a NIC.
I recommend to buy an intel i350version2 4 port. but you could struggle by with a dual port.
Life will be easier for you if you use the onboard ethernet to just access the Host Machine, and bind additional port(s) to a Proxmox Bridge(s).
Prefer OVS to Linux Bridge if you need to use VLANS.
If you don't have the necessary available PCIe slot to put a new NIC in then you can use a small managed switch with VLANS as a port expander.
You will probably find this is all too much difficulty! :wink:

Proxmox is a superb platform especially if you have a server-quality NIC which will allow you the flexibility of using SR-IOV and vf-io passthrough direct to VMs.

If you are running PVE and a VM with a Firewall in it, you should just use OPNSense or IPFire.

p.s. If your cannot satisfactorily resolve the issue of physical network ports then you can also run OpenWRT in a container. Look at Podman ( or LXD ).

p.p.s. If you are doing this kind of highly customised install then I recommend that you install Debian first and get it correctly configured, then follow the FAQ/ WIKI on howto add PVE on top of that.

Yes, this is all probably NOT what you wanted to hear.
:wink:

In a home or SOHO environment, dedicated hardware (with 2+ ethernet interfaces) usually wins in regards to ease or mind and maintenance. Much less to configure, no different layers to take care of (managed switch, hypervisor host + VM, which both need to be configured properly to correctly hand off interfaces to the VM), much less to go wrong, much easier to replace in case of problems.

And much less fun too