OpenWrt for TL-MR6400 V5.2

Hello,

I'm trying to flash OpenWrt on the TP-Link TL-MR6400-V5.2 using tftpd64 on windows 10.

I've set my adapter to 192.168.0.255/24 (although i had to do this via powershell as the adapter settings gui game me and error)

I have renamed the v5 OpenWrt .bin file to "tp_recovery.bin", placed the file in the tftpd64 directory and selected the correct interface in the "Server Interfaces" dropdown in tftpd64.

When I power on the router whilst holding the reset button... nothing happens.

The router just resets and boots as normal into stock firmware.

I'm new to all this but it seems like i'm following the instructions.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be happening? Any help would be great.

Thanks
Mike

disabled the win10 firewall ?

it's 225 in the wiki, and in the github commit.

2 Likes

You likely got errors because 192.168.0.255 is an invalid IP address. 0 (network ID) and 255 (broadcast IP) are invalid in a /24 network as a host IP address.

2 Likes

Oh wow. 255 I read it as that, sorry my mistake.

I can confirm it has now flashed with 192.168.0.225/24.

Thank you.

Can I ssh on from win10 with cmd and use opkg to install packages?

I've only seen tutorials with a linux system using opkg.

Thanks again,

yes install Putty, or just surf to 192.168.1.1, unless you installed a snapshot.

1 Like

I don't think I installed a snapshot. I used the version provided on the device page under "Firmware OpenWrt Install"

When you say surf to 192.168.1.1 do you mean via the GUI luci? Can packages be installed via luci?

Thanks

yes, and yes.

1 Like

Yes, no need for Putty, just from cmd.

Thanks all for the help.

I have it up and running! With the 4g and wireless both working.

I had some issues with the latest version of OpenWrt in which it wouldnt update all the packages and kept failing on opkg install luci-proto-qmi this was probably due to me being new and not knowing how to troubleshoot.

Here's what I did to get it all working (steps followed from this post)

1. I reflashed an older version of OpenWrt (v21.02.2) for the v5 of my router.
  2. Downloaded this package https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mrhaav/openwrt/master/21.02.1/uqmi_2021-12-22-0.4_mipsel_24kc.ipk
  3. Uploaded and installed it using luci
  4. Installed Putty and connected as @root to the router
  5. ran opkg update
  6. ran opkg install usb-modeswitch kmod-mii kmod-usb-net kmod-usb-wdm kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan
  7. ran opkg install luci-proto-qmi
  8. Created a new interface and set the type to QMI Cellular and the /dev/cdc-wdm0 device.
  9. Setup my APN settings (just three.co.uk, everything else blank)
  10. Applied settings and rebooted.

Thanks again to @fsufyan for his post.

I have to say, for someone who only heard about OpenWrt a week ago, it's been pretty straight forward to get to grips with and the UI is great!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.