Openwrt backfire-how to check hardware

I have tried to find a manual for Openwrt backfire because many of the commands that I see mentioned on the website do not work for the version 10.0.3.

I have a LTE modem that has Openwrt installed on it, but it has some kind of stripped down setup webpage interface that won't let me change the simplest things like the apn or turning the firewall on and off.

So I would either like to install Luci or maybe upgrade to the latest Openwrt, but I do not know which install is running.

Because the webpage does not have basic setup, I am looking for maybe the command line or what file I need to 'vi' to add the option apn functions.

How do I check what hardware is installed and if there is a update?

When I telnet into the device it says it is a Lantiq UGW Software 5.1.1 on XRX100 CPE with BusyBox v1.17.1.

If I could figure out what this device is I could start to ready how to upgrade and what flash I can use.

Thank You

You shouldn't be installing Backfire from 2011 due to many known security issues that have been revealed in the Linux kernel, application software, wireless protocols, and many more. This is a general issue with any seven-year-old OS, not OpenWRT in specific.

When you do change the firmware on the device, I'd strongly suggest 18.06

This suggests that you're not running OpenWRT. It's not clear what device you have. Without knowing your device, it's not possible to point you to either a current release, or to installation suggestions.

1 Like

From the net:

Lantiq XWAY xDSL and network processor SoCs – including the xRX100, xRX200 and xRX300 product families and the company's Universal Gateway (UGW) software suite

-> Your device (which one exactly?) is not running OpenWrt.

In addition to this: I don't see any mention of xRX100 on https://openwrt.org/docs/techref/hardware/soc/soc.lantiq nor in the Table of hardware (filtered for "xrx"), therefore assuming xRX100 is not supported at all.

This is all a learning thing for me and that is why I am asking questions.

All I know for sure is when I telnet into the modem I find a few OpenWRT file that might be left over files when someone was upgrading. I have 3 of these LTE modems, so I know that it is not just one modem that has them.

I found this config file on a webpage that makes me believe that the xrx100 goes by a different name of falcon.

This is the webpage that I found:

This is the part of the file 1/2 way down that says compatible =

sbs2@1D000000 {
+               #address-cells = <1>;
+               #size-cells = <1>;
+               compatible = "lantiq,sysb2", "simple-bus";
+               reg = <0x1D000000 0x1000000>;
+               ranges = <0x0 0x1D000000 0x1000000>;

There is also a very vague reference to "xrx100" at https://openwrt.org/toh/astoria/arv7518pw?s[]=xrx100 in some patch on that page. Note that I do not know if that is your device, or even remotely similar to your device. Flashing firmware for the "wrong" device can lead to hard bricks.

Would you mind telling us which device we are talking about?
It's the simplest thing to do to look on the device and just let us know what manufacturer and model number is printed on it.

I found some numbers on the back of the board.

wz-7a 94v-0 d e170968 bkh100042b

I do not know who makes this board.

I have played with some gateworks boards in the past with a J-Tag tool but I do not know about this one.

Thank You

Ok - the LTE modem I am working with was made by ipwireless.com.

It supports LTE. They were purchase by General Dynamics.

No markings on the case. I will have to pull like 12 screws to crack the case and check the board itself.

As soon as I find some kind of model # on the board I will reply back.

Thank You

What is the make and model of the entire device, the router itself? It should be on the case of the router.

1 Like

The Only Tag on the outside of the modem.

ODU-LTE Modem ART

Photo Attached

IMG_20180814_122712.jpg

1 Like

fcc.io/PKTPEMAMW

1 Like

That's still just the "OEM PCI Express Mini Module", not a complete router.

What router or other device are you installing this module into?

• which "OpenWrt files" do you find?
  • what makes you so sure that these files once belonged to OpenWrt?
1 Like

You're unlikely to be connecting to the modem with telnet as the user manual doesn't mention telnet support.

The label shown above must be something else than just the pure LTE module.

FCC documents posting above
UE PCI Express Mini V1 ODU-LTE Modem ART
Serial # AMW ART
Rating 3.3VDC / 950mA 24VDC / 0.35A
fccid PKTPEMAMW PKTPEMAMW

"ODU" could be outdoor-unit, to which the 24V would fit.

The outdoor unit contains the LTE module and carries its fccid.

Backed up by the user manual:

If the FCC ID label on the PCI Express Mini Module is not visible from outside of the host device, then an additional label is required on the outside of the host device stating.
‘Contains FCC ID: PKTPEMAMW’ or ‘Contains FCC ID: PKTPEMAMW1’

2 Likes

Please post photos of the board.

1 Like

http://productspec.ul.com/document.php?id=NWGQ.E214372

GENERAL DYNAMICS BROADBAND E214372
GREENWAYS BUSINESS PARK, UNIT 7
BELLINGER CLOSE
CHIPPENHAM, WILTSHIRE SN15 1BN UNITED KINGDOM

Outdoor Modems , Model(s) ODU-PEM Model AFD, AFX, AFZ, AFN, APY, AKW, AQJ, ART, AKT. ASD, ASG, ASR, AST, ASW, ASY, AVG, AVJ. ATG, ATM, ATR, ATC, AVQ. ATE, ATJ, ATP, ATA, AVM, AYR, AYM, AYG, AYC, AWS, AWV, AYP, AYJ, AYE, AYA

This looks to be a military-grade device that was not marketed to the general public. Thus it doesn't need to have its own FCC ID as a system, as the military is exempt from those rules.

The board inside may be merely a repackaged commercial router, or a custom build. You should start as always with any unknown device by identifying the chipset and memory sizes.

When telnetting in, see if commands like cat /proc/cpuinfo, dmesg, free, df, cat /proc/mtd return any information.

I can not put the info from the commands above because it is giving me a error that I can only post 2 links as a new user.

Do I have to go back and edit out the links of previous posts?

Thank You

On the last page Modem_Info_1 is why I think this device runs openwrt.
Yes this is a Outdoor LTE Band 12 Modem that working on the T-Mobile network here in the US.