OpenWrt as both dumb AP AND router

Hello, everyone!

I've recently bought a TL-MR3020v3 and flashed the latest openWRT version to it. Pretty satisfied.
It is a single-port device which is now configured as a WAN port.
It was intended to be used as a travel router and it works wonders at that particular purpose.
I've just discovered that one of the clients I wish to connect to it needs an IP from the upstream router (so I would need to use the router as a "dumb AP").
I do not want to lose my own original subnet by setting it as an bridged AP, though.
So, here is the question: can I set up both bridged AP and router modes in the same device and therefore use the same eth as LAN and WAN?
How feasible would that be?

It is possible, but you will likely need to make a few changes.

You'll need to create a bridge for the wan -- call it br-wan and it will contain eth0. Then, you change your wan network interfaces to use device br-wan. Finally, setup a second SSID and associate it with the wan network. This should allow the second SSID to be a dumb AP on the upstream network, while the original SSID will be firewalled/NAT'd based on your existing configuration.

If that doesn't work, please post your config files:

Please copy the output of the following commands and post it here using the "Preformatted text </> " button:
grafik
Remember to redact passwords, MAC addresses and any public IP addresses you may have:

cat /etc/config/network
cat /etc/config/wireless
cat /etc/config/dhcp
cat /etc/config/firewall

Thanks for the answer!
Alongside that should I also follow the instructions on the "dumb AP" guide, such as turming off dnsmasq for the 2nd SSID etc.?

by default, the DHCP server on the wan interface is set to 'ignore' so you should be fine.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.