OpenWRT 22.03.5 to 23.05.2 - Image Metadata not present

Hi,

Trying to upgrade my Linksys MR8300 to 23.05.2 from 22.03.5. I downloaded the factory image (file name is openwrt-23.05.2-ipq40xx-generic-linksys_mr8300-squashfs-factory.bin) but it tells me that image metadata is not present, and I would have to force the upgrade.

I figure this would disable all safeguards to prevent a soft brick, so I just wanted to ask here. I've downloaded the image twice already and it still asks me to force it.

Thanks!

Download the sysupgrade image. The factory is rarely applicable once openwrt is already installed.

1 Like

The sysugprade image then displays this:

Tue Nov 28 16:33:53 GMT 2023 upgrade: The device is supported, but this image is incompatible for sysupgrade based on the image version (1.0->2.0). Tue Nov 28 16:33:53 GMT 2023 upgrade: Kernel partition size must be increased for this OpenWrt version. Before continuing, you MUST issue either the command "fw_setenv kernsize 500000" from the OpenWrt command line, or "setenv kernsize 500000 ; saveenv" from the U-Boot serial console. Instead of the sysupgrade image, you must then install the OpenWrt factory image, setting the force flag and wiping the configuration. (e.g. "sysupgrade -n -F openwrt-squashfs-factory.bin" on command line) Image check failed.
The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform.

I assume this is safe to ignore? I already increased the kernel partition size months ago in preparation for an eventual 23.05 upgrade.

1 Like

Follow the instructions it is providing. (Do not skip any steps)

1 Like

You need to make sure you follow the directions on the device page for making your kernel partition bigger before upgrading to the 23.05 series.
Read here: https://openwrt.org/toh/linksys/mr8300#installation_of_2305_or_snapshot

Got it. The upgrade is complete and it works fine after restoring the configuration from backup (I did not restore the network configuration due to the changes between 22.03 and 23.05)

Thank you.

As I had mentioned to psherman before, I'd done that months ago.

Sorry, I missed that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.