OpenWrt 22.03.0 first stable release

Hi
Successfully installed on

• Linksys EA7300v2 (mt7621) factory flashed from Linksys GUI.
  • Netgear 3700v4 (ath79 nand) sysupgraded from 21.02.3 and keeping settings. You can't install much packages in this case, there is a 8MB limit file size.

I upgrade using System -> Backup/Flash firmware and pressing flash image button.
The image was downloaded from https://downloads.openwrt.org/

Yes, I'm aware.

No, it wasn't.

No, I wasn't. See above.

That's standard. If you're doing custom builds, include luci in your package selection.

I want to use adguard home in openwrt22

In openwrt21, I only need to add custom settings to the firewall. The code is as follows:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br-lan -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.1:5353
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br-lan -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.1:5353

Now openwrt22.03 uses firewall4, how to add rules,
According to the instructions here, https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/services/dns/adguard-home , I use ssh to connect to the router, execute the following code,

nft add rule nat pre udp dport 53 ip saddr 192.168.1.0/24 dnat 192.168.1.1:53

But the line to the prompt: Error: Could not process rule: No such file or directory
Need to manually create a configuration file? Does anyone know what is the filename and location?

The only plugin I use in openwrt22 is adguard home, which I really want to use.

An alternative ad-blocking option is here incase you want to take a look:

Thank you for your reply, But English is not my first language. The Chinese results I found were all about openwrt21. Most of the English results I found were knowledge tutorials, not directly telling me how to execute the code to use adguard home normally. At present, I can't find how to set up to use adguard home normally. I need two functions of this plugin, dns parsing and ad filtering, so I don't want to deprecate this plugin.

Since 22.03 on r7800: Periodically - about every third day, Device is "down". Interfaces seem to be down, device is not accessible. Remote Logs are without any suspicious info. Weird.
Now, I have a script running that restarts the device every night.
Sad but true.

@moderators

This maybe considered a cross post yet the more eyes on this spreads word of mouth.

3 Likes

There's still a package in need of update to remove the dependency on the older package:

Package: px5g-wolfssl
Version: 4
Depends: libc, libwolfssl5.4.0.ee39414e

(which is, in turn, needed by luci-ssl)

What type of problems did you experience prior to disabling tx_amsdu? I'm asking as I am using a WRT1900AC v2 which uses 88W8864. I'm wondering if the tx_amsdu issue is something that will definitely occur or if I will get a performce increase by leaving it enabled.

Going back to the Issue discussed 4 years ago, disabling amsdu on mwlwifi driver devices with 88W8864 (wrt1200 and wrt1900) may reduce latency on 5GHz, but in doing so you will lose some throughput. It's never been reported to affect anything else other than that:

[https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/313]

1 Like

Am I correct that the same applies to 2.4 GHz?

Probably, but since the wifi firmware is close source and no one with a wrt1200 or wrt1900 ever posted any throughput and latency tests that I've seen, it's unknown. If you get better speedtest results post about it on one of the mvebu custom fw threads. I'll add that to the wiki, since I added a lot of this info to the wiki already.

This topic somehow comes up with every new release, along with the misconception that wrt3200acm and wrt32x are somehow affected when that's never been demonstrated either. I use a wrt32x and definitely never disabled amsdu.

1 Like

I'm currently running 21.02.3 as 22.03.0 caused my router to become sluggish (e.g. even firmware upload using LAN port was extremely slow) after 24 hours. However, if you provide the latency tests you'd like me to run, I can try to get that done as time permits.

Here are the speed test results for 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz with and without AMSDU enabled. I performed 3 tests in each environment so that an average could be established. All variables remained the same, including the speedtest server used.

Testing Environment
Linksys WRT1900AC v2 (ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l))
OpenWrt 21.02.3 r16554-1d4dea6d4f / LuCI openwrt-21.02 branch git-22.083.69138-0a0ce2a

Conclusion
When AMSDU is disabled it seems that latency is greatly reduced and overall throughput is only slightly impacted. Will the reductions in latency really be noticed by the user? Perhaps only for low latency gaming?

2.4 GHz (AMSDU Enabled)
Speedtest_2.4GHz_AMSDUEnabled_1
Speedtest_2.4GHz_AMSDUEnabled_2
Speedtest_2.4GHz_AMSDUEnabled_3

2.4 GHz (AMSDU Disabled)
Speedtest_2.4GHz_AMSDUDisabled_1
Speedtest_2.4GHz_AMSDUDisabled_2
Speedtest_2.4GHz_AMSDUDisabled_3

5 GHz (AMSDU Enabled)
Speedtest_5GHz_AMSDUEnabled_1
Speedtest_5GHz_AMSDUEnabled_2
Speedtest_5GHz_AMSDUEnabled_3

5 GHz (AMSDU Disabled)
Speedtest_5GHz_AMSDUDisabled_1
Speedtest_5GHz_AMSDUDisabled_2
Speedtest_5GHz_AMSDUDisabled_3

2 Likes

Nice tests, that's a big reduction on wifi latency with downloads. I don't see those higher pings testing on my wrt32x at all. Looks like disabling amsdu is still very much worth doing for those targets.

edit: hopefully this thread didn't get highjacked too badly, I put some of those findings into the wiki for our devices.

2 Likes

I currently have my two r7800 running for more than 30 days. So it is not fundamental with the release. Did you set the performance governor? And cpu frequencies?

1 Like

Does anyone had trouble with mesh between 21.02.0 and 22.03 ? I'm using a setup with archer c7 (mesh node in 21.02) and archer c6 v3 (main router in 22.03). And every station in c7 is getting 1-4 Mbps speeds in upload even on LAN and wired stations also get way less download speeds than wireless. I posted some troubleshooting in reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/openwrt/comments/xwwdep/poor_upload_speed_and_iperf3_results_on_mesh_node/

Apologies is this is a FAQ, I searched quite a bit but wasn't able to figure this out.

It's been a long while since I last upgraded between versions where sysupgrade wasn't explicitly supported.

I want to upgrade a Netgear R7800 from 19.07.10 to 22.03.0. The router also acts as AP for several WLANs, two of which are configured in WPA3/SAE mode.

So, two questions:

• I've built an image with imagebuilder, specifying PACKAGES="hostapd-openssl -wpad-basic-wolfssl" to ensure WPA3/SAE AP will be supported, based on what I found in the docs. As of 22.03.0, is that still required for this use case, or can I safely use the default images from the downloads?

• I understand that keeping configuration won't be supported, but I'm not clear on which image I should flash: Is it still the sysupgrade one or should I use the factory one this time?