OpenWrt 21.02.2 Second service release

Luckily you need to be logged in already to exploit that to escalate your permissions to root access and if you are logged into an OpenWrt router you are already root, so it seems on first glance as if that CVE would not be too problematic on current OPenWrt, no?

2 Likes

some issues with ASUS RT-AC58U: UBI errors, I/O errors, spi transfer failed then hang ... after awhile especially during bulk installation and high bandwidth. I have to go back to 19.07

1 Like

Has anyone install to ea6300 or ea6400? Thx

This is the absolute best OpenWrt release ever, at least for me - stable as a rock! I usually run vanilla firmware and add adblock, ddns, irqbalance, USB storage, statistics. Every version (literally every) caused my R7800 to reboot at least once a week - not with 21.02.2 - not a single reboot in over a month running the same config as on all the previous releases.
Thank you, guys.

1 Like

I completely agree. There even used to be a harmless kernel warning when using 802.11s that is now resolved. 20 days here. I have one running as a dumb ap with a raspberry pi4, and another running wireguard, ddns, Adblock, nlbwmon, dns over https, irqbalance, sqm and bcp38. Managed switch functionality too...Love this release on r7800. Thanks everyone!

This flash/file errors are also occuring on the Western Digital N750: Upgrade from Barrier Breaker 14.07 to latest 21.02 (WD My Net N750)

1 Like

@hnyman, I just did the cherry pick and created a pull request to both fix the 21.02.2 boot loop issue with some devices (eg Archer A6 v3) as well adding support to Archer C6 v3 to a future 21.02 stable build.

Since this is my first pull request I'm not sure I've done this correctly. Anyway I understand I need 6 reviews in order to enable this commit to make into 21.02. I would appreciate if you and other OpenWrt developers could review and approve (or provide feedback) about this pull request:

4 Likes

Anyone experiencing general wifi slowness with 21.02.2 on R7800 (Netgear Nethawk X4S)?
I didn't see anything suspicious in the log files, but reverting back to 21.02.1 made the issue go away.

Could you give an example on what you experienced?

I have several devices (4 laptops, 4 phones) running off 3 R7800 around the house (all running on different channels).
On the R7800, I have been using the non-ct firmware and driver as the -ct driver doesn't work well. The R7800s are configured as Access Points (don't run dnsmasq or DHCP serving, etc).
With 21.02.2, what I saw was that the laptops' bandwidth was limited when connecting with WiFi. The laptops would still connect as high data rates (eg. 866.7 Mbit/s, 80 MHz, VHT-MCS 9, VHT-NSS 2, Short GI), but the bandwidth would be low: Typically, I would see 6 MB/s TCP bandwidth via wifi when connecting to a test server on the LAN (not going through ISP), but not all the time.
There were no error messages in logread or dmesg.
Reverting to 21.0.1 on all APs made the problem go away.

Did you have problems with the 21.02.2 defaults (ct driver) with a clean install? I can get 260/290 mbps over wireless pretty consistently while using 802.11s with another r7800 on Apple and PC devices. Have you tried upgrade to full wolfssl and trying 802.11s for your mesh?

I'm currently waiting for version 22

Just upgraded my EdgeRouter X (ER-X) [mt7621] from 21.02.01 to 21.02.02
through the web interface (keep settings box was ticked when I confirmed)
using the sysupgrade file provided by the OpenWrt firmware Selector:
-> openwrt-21.02.2-ramips-mt7621-ubnt_edgerouter-x-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

Now I don't have access anymore to the device.
By my own settings the router would be on 10.0.0.1 and provide IP's on the network by DHCP.

I tried ports 0 and 1 with a fixed IP address 192.168.1.10 as to reach 192.168.1.1 ... no web interface, no ssh, no ping reply ... but I can see the LED's blinking on the device when I do those requests.

Also tried a factory reset (by holding the reset button, then plugging in the power and releasing after 10 seconds)
No change :confused:

Would anyone be able to help me out or point me into the right direction?

Sorry to hear this happened to you.

I'd try a factory reset with your ER-X powered on, just to be sure. Don't hold the reset button too long or you could put it in TFTP recovery mode - just long enough to get a reaction. Rule out the usual dumb mistakes we have all made too many times, myself included-sounds like you've already started well down that path making sure your computer is on the right sub-net and you are plugged into the the right port, etc.

If you still cannot reach it at 192.168.1.1 (try to reach it via ssh from the command line too), then maybe this can help: Ubiquity Version 2 Bootloader Recovery, provided your ER-X was updated to the Version 2 boot loader before you flashed OpenWrt for the first time.

I'd also suggest creating a new topic in another area of the forum if above doesn't at least help get you back to stock OEM firmware (from which you can flash OpenWrt again), or you are not familiar with setting up a tftp server, etc.

Hi,

I tried to upgrade my WRT1900ACSv2 via Luci that runs on an old 18.06 firmware to the latest 21.02.2 with the factory image: "openwrt-21.02.2-mvebu-cortexa9-linksys_wrt1900acs-squashfs-factory.img".

I found that the factory file should be used instead of the upgrade file, but it still does not work via Luci and I get this message:

"The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform. "

Shell I force this factory image upgrade via CLI, can you send me the details please ?

Thank you

The upgrade for that device does not need factory, sysupgrade is fine, force, do not keep config, LuCI or CLI is fine. If using VLANs be prepared for the switch to DSA from swconfig.

3 Likes

I tried 21.02.2 again with Asus RT-AC58U and I reduced power of wifi (2.4 Ghz) to - 18dBm. It seems to be stable for now.

You didn't have flash/file issues?

not for now.. without the workaround, it takes about 30 mins to have all kind of UBIFS, spi0 transfer... in kernel log especially during package installation. worth trying again if your is IPQ40xx too.

WRT3200ACM Wifi is broken with the standard upgrade. There are a few forum topics around this. Some suggesting wifi issues were fixed for the release. I can confirm that is not the case.

I had to downgrade to 19.x to get a stable and working unit again.

Cheers
Spart