OpenWrt 21.02.0 Fourth release candidate

Yep! Fat finger syndrome!

Thanks for clarifying!

Thanks for your replies, unfortunately irqbalance made no difference.
Pinging the device i had 0 timeouts, pinging the modem i had 0 timeouts, pinging any wan IP gave me frequent timeouts.

How can I manage it?

To clarify further, I've now been running a master snapshot for a few days and the wifi stalls have not occured on my WRT32X, so it's clearly a 21.02 related but that hasn't been fixed.

I'm just using the 5.4 kernel right now, not sure how to easily upgrade to the 5.10 kernel without compiling myself although I know many mvebu users that run master branch use it.

Peoples findings seem to vary

1 Like

Interesting, that testing is more involved than my browsing around on a phone, laptop, and a MS teams meeting. WiFi with that stuff is definitely better on master than 21.02-rc. I’ll have to try that too though and prepare to be disappointed.

edit: after 2 more days of testing I can confirm WiFi is much better on a Master snapshot. 21.02 is a disaster, stalls out frequently. 21.02 was branched what, 6 months ago? At this point there must be a ton of improvements on master. Either way it's definitely a bug in 21.02.

1 Like

Tested with TP-Link TL-MR6400 v5 and it's working fine for a few days now. The LTE modem on that device must use QMI and the end user experience would be complete if the Luci QMI module (luci-proto-qmi) was preinstalled too. So, would it be possible to get that in the official images?

21.02 release appears to be waiting for ipv6 flow offload problems to be fixed:
http://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2021-August/036023.html

Anyone know if this is reasonably fixable in 21.02, or does it require a major evolution like moving all targets to the 5.10 kernel or something? My curiosity is whether or not there are near term prospects for a final 21.02 release. If not, I'll stop waiting and flash 19.07.8 on some routers I plan to gift to someone. The routers in question are not DSA targets in 21.02, so upgrade won't be too confusing for the recipient.

To be clear, I'm not criticizing. I think the 21.02 release candidates have been an inspired step toward getting the bugs shaken out of DSA implementation especially, but also other less tested changes that have built up in the main snapshot tree since 19.07. And I'm looking forward to a final 21.02 release - it's just a timing thing for me.

So its older cheap non-MT76 devices anyway, so HW offloading isnt an option anyway. Did you tests, whether soft offloading for the devices in question has its reasonable performance gain at all, worth these thoughts?

Or why not give them away as 21.02 with offloading unchecked?
In case it gets fixed, the receipient could then checkmark a clickbox and gain a few percent of performance. The recipient would need to do occasional updates anyway, effectively become active as OpenWRT admin.

1 Like

Ouch. I wouldn't call an EA8500 found used on ebay for $50 shipped "cheap." A screaming bargain maybe, and it's a bit long in the tooth I'll grant you, but still quite capable hardware: 1.4 GHz dual core ipq8064 ARMv7; 512 MB memory, 128MB flash, Wave2/WiFi5, 4x4 MU-MIMO. It's a good friend. Were they not, I'd have found them a used $20 Archer C7 :wink: .

But your point is taken. Yes, I could install 21.02rc4 and just uncheck the offload boxes I suppose.

I've been testing 21.02.0-rc4, and observed when WAN port is configured for DHCP on HH5a, the 'Override MAC address' field is missing.

It's always been present in previous versions of OpenWrt as shown below:
0macAddress

Is its removal in 21.02 by design?

With DSA, it's now part of device configuration, not interface. See one of the very many conversion-to-DSA-format configuration threads.

1 Like

Indeed, the change was made to help DSA support in LuCI, but the new syntax applies to both DSA and swconfig devices. HH5 in the 21.02 branch still uses the latter.

I recently upgraded from rc2 to rc4 because the notice mentioned something about wireguard. However, in rc4 some critical packages are missing for me (Archer C7 v5 ath79 target). Notably kmod-usb-storage, some dependencies of samba4, and kmod-wireguard.
a) is there anything I can do about this?
b) if not, how safe is it to migrate to 19.07.8 via sysupgrade?

https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/21.02.0-rc4/targets/ath79/generic/packages/kmod-usb-storage_5.4.137-1_mips_24kc.ipk

Maybe you forgot to opkg update?

1 Like

Yup that's it! I'd been using Luci exclusively. I definitely used "Update lists" a few times, but clearly luci's view of packages is different from the command line opkg. Good to know. Thanks!

Also noticing that with my iPhone on 5 GHz network. Transient disconnections. Interrupted YouTube playback. Definitely seems like there's a bug amiss.

Which firmware are you currently running @phinn ? Master Snapshot, 21.02 Snapshot, or Divested? And have you found it to be stable otherwise?

I can confirm that these packages (*usb-storage) are not shown in Luci (C7 v5 on rc4)

1 Like

Observed the same on wndr3700v2

opkg from cli finds *usb-storage

But luci filter and unfiltered finds none