OpenWrt 21.02.0 - First Stable Release

Which firmware are you mentioning?

I am running the first stable release (this forum thread). I've been upgrading since RC2 (including RC3 and RC4)

I was thinking about 88w8864. I have an issue that causes wifi to stop transmitting any data but clients are still connected through wifi. Wifi 2.4GHz and 5GHz I configured in AES WPA2 mode with 802.11w disabled. I have no idea what to do. It makes 21.02 unusable for me on WRT1200ac.

Just to be clear, the hardware I have is WRT1900ACSv2 not WRT1200AC. Have you tried this:

Patch the firmware for 88w8864 (mwlwifi specific high latencies) by disabling tx_amsdu.
Add in luci > startup > local startup (nano /etc/rc.local) the following commands:

echo "0" >> /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/mwlwifi/tx_amsdu
echo "0" >> /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy1/mwlwifi/tx_amsdu

You will also get much better performance if you do this:
Install irqbalance. Change 'enabled' from '0' to '1' in '/etc/config/irqbalance'.

Yeah, I've added this. Still, occasionally I got the issue I described before.

If you've implemented all four recommendations from my post, then try to identify if the problem is unique to 5GHz or 2.4GHz and which devices have the problem. I've had problems with the 5GHz network and the iPhone/iPad in the past on RC4, but I've not noticed these problems with the first stable release. I should also mention that my router has a scheduled reboot every day. If you continue to have problems and upgraded from any other firmware version, I recommend erasing NVRAM and building your configuration up from the bottom.

I have been able to use this release essentially without issues, but I do believe there to be exceptional proclivity to WiFi problems with the 5GHz network and 88w8864 for OpenWRT.

I'm noticing the same issue on my miwifi mini with 21.02 stable release. Have you found any solution for this? Hoping this issue gets resolved soon.

For now, i have downgraded to 19.07.8.

I've been using HTTPS by default for a few releases. It's pretty straightforward, just enable it and accept the self signed cert.

Or if you have your own domain, you can always use let's encrypt to generate free certs.

I guess that this issue only happens to me on 5GHz network. I was using 2.4GHz network for two days already and I haven't experienced that issue anymore.

I moved from 19.07.08 to 21.02.0 on my Linksys WRT3200ACM. I had to reconfigure everything from scratch because of the switch to DSA, but I knew that going into the upgrade. So I was prepared, and getting it running again was OK, all things considered.

Everything seems to be working fine, now. Actually, better than before. Samba 4 has been rock-solid whereas Samba 3 was a bit flaky on 19.07.08. LuCI is also seeming solid to me whereas it would sometimes become unresponsive on 19.07.08 over 2+ weeks of uptime, requiring a reboot via ssh.

Thanks to all the developers for getting this new release out. Much appreciated!

Hi all

Will be Mikrotik RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN supported with newer version than 19.07.08?
ATM I can't find rom for it. :frowning_face:

Thank you in advance and cheers

I believe that should be a single ">" as you want to overwrite, not append.

You cannot disable 802.11w if using WPA3 in any way. The setting will revert to optional.

An unfinished product that is presented as stable, especially in the luci (general) section.
ddns does not work well, https mode does not work well, very small letters in the boxes, misplaced boxes. In the end they will make me buy those 5x glasses that I always want to weld fine, but I will use them to read the openwrt webui
In short, a stable firmware that seems to be made of pieces cannot be presented.
You have seen the luci-app section ....
It,s my opinion....and my experience with this release sorry adeu.

fd dimoni

Are you troll?
DDNS work well on x86
HTTPS work well on x86
No small letters lol.
No misplaced boxes lol.

don't listen him.. everything worked well, i've swithed to snapshot due to 5.10 kernel, but 21.02.0 was rock solid for me,

1 Like

I would guess he wasn't using WPA3. I run a WRT1900ACS and for the first 3 weeks I also had 802.11w disabled with WPA2 only, as indeed there are many reports of a mixed mode not working out.

After 2+ weeks of a stable 21.02, yesterday I moved the 5 GHz from WPA2 to 3, and 802.11w from disabled to enabled to try it out. I was surprised to have seen a very stable wifi with WPA3 (24h uptime now). But on the 5GHz all my devices are WPA3 capable. I guess the real test will be with a mixed mode on the 2.4 GHz as I have many devices that cannot use WPA3.

I had the same issues you describe on rc4. They faded when I moved to 21.02.0 with similar settings as @User34 (though I now moved the 5 GHz to WPA3). FWIW There is a whole thread on this issue for the WRT32X.

1 Like

That thread doesn't apply to a WRT1900ACS as the wireless chip is different.

I know the chip is different. Nevertheless they were nice and welcoming to also discuss it there despite the title. Especially since the root cause of the issue is not yet clear, I'm not even sure it was pinpointed to the chip yet.