OpenWrt 21.02.0 first release candidate

@apcameron I was part of the discussion on this issue a few months ago....the person who originally tried to fix it eventually dropped the conversation.

I know what to do to fix it, just need someone to test images

@mpratt14 I can test for you on my TP-Link CPE510 v2 or TP-Link CPE610 v1. Just let me know what you need me to do.

build an image, or ask me to if you cannot

about DSA on MVEBU of espressobin board v7.
I have tested 21.02-RC1 and 5/5/2021 21.02-SNAPSHOT...

none of them load LUCI Network with DSA (devices).

how can I test switch (DSA) setting on espressobin board ?

thanks for the work of the OpenWrt team...

Why are there not factory images for all devices? Missing for D-Link DIR-505 and D-Link DIR-825 B1 for example.

That depends. Keep in mind that ath79 is a "fresh development" for most of the former ar71xx devices, and some targets can have build issues. However, for the D-Link DIR-505 there's a different, specific reason:

Currently, installation is only possible by sysupgrading from an earlier OpenWrt version, U-Boot TFTP or a modded U-Boot. I do not have the original bootloader from D-Link on my device anymore, so i cannot test
the factory image.

https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commit;h=c9ac7b17296ff29d9df39db8a68c449ef1514bbd

2 Likes

First of all I want to thank all of the contributors for the great work!

I have one question though. I tried upgrading to 21.02.0rc on my Netgear R7800 (currently on 19.07.7). I used the sysupgrade image, but after the upgrade the router is still running 19.07.7. I tried the luci web updater and the shell command. What am I missing?

No idea, because there should be nothing special with R7800. I constantly jump between master, 21.02 and 19.07 with my R7800 (due to testing my community build for R7800).

Are you sure that you have R7800, and that you tried the R7800 image? (...not D7800...)

1 Like

Thank you for the quick reply! The image is the correct one for the device - I checked it several times. Do you keep the configuration when jumping between the releases?

Trying out 21.02rc on a Linksys WRT1900ACS v2 but every few hours lose internet connection on my devices. Seems to only affect one or a few devices at a time while others keep connectivity. Anyone else experiencing issues?

1 Like

Yes. And I usually upgrade via LuCI. Master and 21.02 use the same same config, while 19.07 has somewhat older ubus config, but there is an automatic transition script that handles it. (and that does nothing to prevent sysupgrade itself)

Upgrading from 19.07.7 should be really easy. Booting back to 19.07.7 means that flashing never started. The sysupgrade process breaks earlier. Either image ID looks wrong, or something similar.

1 Like

I tried upgrading to 21.02 snapshot which worked. Also upgrading from snapshot to rc1 worked, so this way I got rc1 running.

I can't agree with this more. There's so many things missing from Luci that even current stock firmware does for the user easily now. We need a luci total revamp that helps beginners and advanced users alike.

2 Likes

Something I am still unsure about.
Is Luci (given that DSA setup will be available in it eventually) going to provide port status on the switch?
Things like speed/half/full duplex?
In my case it is Xiaomi Mi4a Gigabit edition which is currently running 19.0.7.7 backported.

1 Like

I also agree. I'm a long time user of Tomato which is arguably even more complex than standard router firmwares but it's still much easier to get going. I think this is for a couple of reasons

1. The UI layout is just more intuitive - organization, less spacing etc
  2. The firmware takes care of common features like multiple dhcp servers per bridge / guest network
  3. important packages are included by default, like tls and vpn. I get that some people don't want this, so either a few variations on firmwares with included packages or a much easier way for people to create their firmware by selecting additional packages.

I'm also a long time user of pfsense and their UI is also more intuitive than luci so from both of those UIs I can say there is room for improvement. I very much appreciate the advanced nature of what the firmware provides am happy to roll up my sleeves to learn and do it but it is also nice when common things are taken care of (and you can still dig into the individual changes the wizard made in openwrt)

I think the architecture should be taking ui wizard inputs and translating them into replicable uci commands. Technically speaking, a higher level uci cli could also be developed to facilitate some of the most common tasks like settings up a guest network or a separate wireless ap with proper error checking.

I may actually consider doing this.

6 Likes

I think for the DIR-825-B1 the factory file can only be so BIG
& now's it bigger then can be uploaded
but you just get an old image from v19
and sysupgrade to the new one cos sysupgrade can upload a bigger file

Is hardware offload finally working on MT7621 or is it still broken like the past 6 months?

Yes, I'm experiencing a very similar issue as you with the WRT3200ACM on both WiFi channels - Randomly stops working and then eventually kicks in on its own or after restarting the effected channel. Also found that disconnecting from WiFi on the affected system or device helps reestablish connectivity again.

In my case i upgraded from 19.07.7 to 21.02.0-rc1 (did not save any configs). Afterwards configured the WRT3200ACM as just a dumb access point via the Openwrt wiki setup guide. Prior hand on version 19.07.7 i used it as both a router and access point - no problems at all. But after building out a pfsense system i just wanted the WiFi functionality.for stability and speed via Openwrt.

I realize it's a release candidate and there will be minor issues - But seriously considering looking into downgrading back to the prior version if i can at all - just not sure of the proper steps. Meaning if i just re-flash the prior sysupgrade file over the top of this version and then set it back up as just a dumb access point again for testing.

If you just did a sysupgrade the previous version should still be on the other partition; just boot back by whatever method you like to use.

I had also performed a sysupgrade from 19.07 without saving configs. To restore connection I need to either restart the connected device's WiFi and if that doesn't help I reboot the router. (haven't been patient enough to see if connection eventually returns on its own)

Understood it's a release candidate version but hoping for a fix. I wonder if others on Linksys devices are experiencing the same issues?