OpenWrt 19.07.x ath79 tiny LuCI

My bad. Thank you!

Will it be possible to host another build with wireguard while without luci ?

OpenWRT 19.07.7 without LuCI with Wireguard compiled.
https://openwrt.ashus.net/ 19.07.7-targets-ath79-tiny-wireguard

You may try it, but it has not been tested at all. All tiny devices I had are now in production use or replaced. Please report back whether it works, maybe you could tell the others highest transmission (upload) rate your device has CPU power for.

3 Likes

Thank you very much!

Sure will try and report back here.

Im going to try the wa901nd v5 firmware, and then report if its good, i intend to use it in client mode.
A question that i havent seen answered here is, if someone wants to flash the original firmware from Openwrt-Luci, how is it achieved, does anyone have a special firmware for this purpose.
Thank you.

That is because it is beyond scope of this topic. There is a generic guide, but it may not work for every device as you may be required to trim the binary stock firmware before flashing.

Usually the specifics are on device info wiki page:

Finally if you use Google, you can find out, that someone recently needed to do this and even made the modified stock firmware available:

Thank you for the reply.
I already read some of that information, flashing with WinSCP, still no one has confirmed if its ok or not.
Btw, there is a new oficial firmware from tp-link on their site, after 4 years they decided to update the firmware.

I prefer using wget as usually you can't use WinSCP to get into OpenWRT right away (sftp incompatiblity).

Sorry, but I don't trust official firmwares. I have several TL-WA7510Nv1 outdoor APs in my network and their firmware is so old (2013) it doesn't even pass through important IPv6 neighbor solicitation ICMP packets. I guess new firmware after such long time is good news, but offical ROMs are good for one thing only - speed optimalization. For security and everything else there is OpenWRT. Sadly most manufacturers abandon their product support in under 2 years.

In WinSCP you can change protocol to "SCP" from "SFTP"

1 Like

Do i understand correctly that the image posted in the OP can be used for TP-link TL-WR841N/D?

And where can I find flashing process explained? I'm currently running native/stock firmware from dlink?

IME there are several ways of decreasing ease to try and get back to OEM firmware:

• LUCI GUI
  • SSH to the device and see if you can force the image via sysupgrade
  • "Magic" button or timing with stock boot that will get device to look for image on TFTP if you have it up and running
  • Serial port to interrupt bootloader, and use the limited command line interface to TFTP image

Does this mean patches for master, or previous releases? I currently have local patches / stashes for the 4+32 devices I use as extenders. I'd be very happy to push patches for them on ar71xx and ath79 so I don't have to keep those so much myself, and others can build the locally for their own use.

Yes, TL-WR841N/ND revisions 5,7,8,9,10,11,12. You should use images marked factory for flashing from stock.

1 Like

Past releases (19.07.x, 18.06.x, 17.01.x) are done and dusted, neither of them will accept new device additions (and 18.06.x, 17.01.x are out of support, not accepting any changes at all). Once a release has been made (after e.g. 19.07.0 or 21.02.0), only bug- and security fixes are accepted, new devices or features have to be merged to master and wait there for the next release branch.

1 Like

I cant find anywhere the information about exploit used to flash OWRT. Got a link?

There is no exploit needed to flash, just rename the file before uploading it.

Huh, neat. Thanks!
Any info on what's included into FACTORY image by default here:
https://openwrt.ashus.net/19.07.7-targets-ath79-tiny-luci/

== Update ==

Throughput data for the TP-Link TL-WR720n v4 router:
LAN client to WAN server over NAT iperf3: 90Mbits/s
LAN client to WAN server over WG tunnel (between router and server) 40Mbits/s

==

I flashed your build to my Tplink WR-720nV4

Default NAT access to Internet is working fine.

root@100mbps:/etc# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                 3.0M      3.0M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                    13.6M     80.0K     13.5M   1% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock4          448.0K    228.0K    220.0K  51% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay      448.0K    228.0K    220.0K  51% /
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev

I will try do some through put test and report back.

Once again, thank you very much for your help!

1 Like

Does anyone know if it is possible to use TP-Link TL-WR841ND as Access Point with other router (non WRT) after flashing OWRT?

1 Like

Yes, it is possible. I recommend using OpenWRT or pfSense or something else secure and regularly updated as router. Any other device could be used as AP, with or without OpenWRT; just disable DNS/DHCP server and use LAN port.