OpenWrt 18.06.4 Service Release

Hello Community, only want happily report, OpenWrt 18.06.4 runs perfectly on my Linksys WRT 3200, so far, not found any issues. DNSCRPYT, Privoxy, WLAN Radius authentication to my Ubuntu RADIUS Server with Daloradius with WPAD, Wireguard, SMB Networkshares, DDNS, Adblock, all fine, No Problems found! :revolving_hearts:

The only problem i found, is that Attended Sysupgrade shows me packages, for updating, but when I ssh into my WRT 3200 Router and execute a OPKG UPDATE command, then OPKG -LISTUPGRADABLE, it doesnt show me any packages to update--- during ATTENDED SYSUPGRADE shows me some, but thats no problem for me!

Thank you very much, I love OpenWRT and this nice Community too, Peace, Again, BRAVO!!!!

It shows: Kernel Version 4.14.131
and
Firmware Version
OpenWrt 18.06.4 r7808-ef686b7292 / LuCI openwrt-18.06 branch (git-19.186.23306-0593f93)

1 Like

My LAN-WAN speed of my TP-LINK WDR4300 decreased by 25% with 18.06.4. From 250 Mbps to 180 Mbps. Going back to 18.06.3 restores that immediately. So something is not 100% OK.

1 Like

Short version - Uninstall whatever the first is and never run the second.

Longer version - Please search here for all the reasons upgrading of packages is highly discouraged.

1 Like

Sad ---maybe a device specifiv problem with 18.06.04 ... I have only cable internet 100 Mbit download stream, and I get as before slightly above 12,5 MB/sec on my WRT 3200 --- hope there comes a fix for you soon!

8 x 12.5 MBytes= 100Mbits

Are you comparing the same units or is a that a typo?

1 Like

1000 Mbit = 125MB/sec
100 MBit = 12,5 MB/sec
and so ON :wink: I have a LinksysWRT 3200 ACM.

and user I replied to basrieter, has a TP Link, he replied to my POST that on Linksys WRT 3200 went all well, during he, has somehow Problems with his TP-Link WDR4300 router.

I wasnt comparing, user basrieter was replying to my Post, I know, when read, that he has another type of device, a TP-Link WDR4300 ..cheers!

1 Like

I can't share your elation. I bricked two routers "Asus WL-500gP v1" and "TP-Link Archer C7 v2" via Webinterface upgrade with "Keep settings" enabled yesterday. They end up in endless loops without responding to pings neither from their configured ip nor from their failsafe ip.
This is a little bit disappointing as it should be a minor update from 18.06.02 to 18.06.04.

I'm not trying to make light of your situation. However, in the context of everything:

is not an end-all guarantee to make the device work as before. If you installed packages and worked them so deeply into the setup that the router will not work anymore without those packages, "keep settings" will actually be detrimental since you will only keep the settings but not the packages they work with. Maybe that happened to you?

You can actually watch the routers reboot over and over (indicated by the LEDs)?

At the risk of stating the obvious: The failsafe does not automatically kick in with an unworkable configuration, you have to trigger it.

1 Like

I also bricked my Dir-860l with Keep Settings enabled. Didn't have any deeply ingrained packages installed, so I am not sure what bricked it. Successfully flashed back to factory firmware via failsafe boot, flashed 18.06.2 factory image (wanted to test the upgrade procedure again), and then flashed to 18.06.4 sysupgrade without keeping settings. This time the flash was successful and things have been running smoothly since yesterday evening.

I don't seem to be the only person who ran into this issue, so you might want to disable "Keep settings" as a precaution. At least make sure you are able to recover from a brick if things go south :slight_smile:

Maybe related to https://github.com/openwrt/luci/issues/2816 which happens when you upgraded LuCI packages using opkg in the past and didn't notice the checksum mismatch after uploading the sysupgrade image.

1 Like

I verified the checksum that was presented after uploading the image in the browser by comparing it to the sha256 hashes included on the download page. That should rule out this specific issue, correct?

Yes, it rules out this issue.

1 Like

The installation of stubby and replacement of dnsmasq with dnsmasq-full were the only package "adjustments".

The same sequence appear again and again. A short all lights on, then one led by one, then all off, then a short all lights on again.

Regarding to Archer C7 pushing WPS-Button in the right moment after plugging in doesn't boot into failsafe or waiting for packet at UDP port 4919 doesn't appear.
Recovering Asus WL500gp1 will be much easier with PIN9 method.

If there are options at "/etc/config/dhcp" that dnsmasq-full understands but dnsmasq does not understand (like activating DNSSEC, for example), then dnsmasq will fail to start, and devices connected to the router cannot acquire an IP address.

I know because this has happened to me on a couple of occasions.

Installed with sysupgrade from 18.06.2 for wrt1900acs without problem, thanks.

1 Like

Upgraded BT HH5a from 18.06.2 to 18.06.4, thanks

1 Like

Successfully updated my Armor Z2, many thanks to all devs. In a wait of 19.07.XX release.

Love how instructions are clearly dictated, did the above now trying to login to router gives the bad gateway error and cannot connect to GUI.

My initial read I thought this was mandatory, rereading the post I now realize I shouldn't have updated Luci.

What should I do now?
Thanks for helping an old noob!

Linksys WRT32X openWRT 18.06.2

1 Like

If you can connect with SSH, I would:

• Backup config and SFTP it to your β€œdesktop”
  • SFTP the upgrade image to /tmp/
  • Use sysupgrade from the command line.

Ask for more details if you need.

1 Like

May I suggest that release posts to be posted on a specific category? This would allow us to subscribe to this category and be notified. If it is already possible to do this by any other means, I'd like to know.