Openvpn CLient with ExpressVPN Question

I am running the following command "openvpn --cd /etc/openvpn --config /etc/openvpn/my_expressvpn_tampa.ovpn" and it starts up fine and has been running fine.

My question is if anybody knows what happens when the ExpressVPN Tampa site is not working or stops working.

Do all devices still connect to the Internet or is the internet access down for all the devices? My preferred behavior would be that all device stop connecting to the internet.

PS: I use vpnbypass so that 2 of my device connect directly to the internet.

Thx

Dick

I just got my answer this morning. The connection to the Tampa ExpressVPN site was not working anymore and all my devices were directly connected to the Internet without VPN protection.

Anybody know how I can reset the connection without having to reboot the whole router?

Anybody know how I can detect that the connection to ExpressVPN is down and get alerted?

Thx

Dick

The OpenWrt hooks to configure and start OpenVPN should be used. In /etc/config/openvpn, use option config to have it load your .ovpn file. Use /etc/init.d/openvpn restart to restart OpenVPN without rebooting.

Thank you for the answer. For some reason my ExpressVPN config is not in the /etc/config/openvpn file. It only has the default samples in it. How would I put in the right info so that /etc/init.d/openvpn would work the right way.

Would I only put in:

config openvpn expressvpn
option enabled 1
option config /etc/my_expressvpn_tampa.ovpn

Is that all?

I assume that I would also have to disable the command in the local startup setup. Currently it is:

openvpn --cd /etc/openvpn --config /etc/openvpn/my_expressvpn_tampa.ovpn
#openvpn --cd /etc/openvpn --config /etc/openvpn/my_expressvpn_miami.ovpn
#openvpn --cd /etc/openvpn --config /etc/openvpn/my_expressvpn_new_york.ovpn

For some reason only the default openvpn configs show up but not the running ExpressVPN. See below:

DLRouter_Part1_-OpenVPN-_LuCI

Thx

Dick