OpenVPN and DNS

Hello,

I have set up my LEDE router as an OpenVPN client. What I would now like to do is to access hosts on the server side by their hostnames, i.e. ping hostname.vpndomain. Unfortunately, the router does not find the corresponding host. I can, however, ping the host with its IP, so the connection is fine. Just the name resolving does not work, yet. How could I make this work?

If I start an OpenVPN client on my Ubuntu computer, I can ping the remote hosts by their hostnames. On my computer, I have an update-resolv-conf script which adds the remote DNS server to my /etc/resolv.conf.

I tried to add this to my /tmp/resolv.conf.auto on the LEDE router, but it did not help. Has anyone managed to get this working? The server is pushing the remote DNS server to the router:

PUSH: Received control message: 'PUSH_REPLY,dhcp-option DOMAIN vpndomain,dhcp-option DNS 192.168.20.10,register-dns,route 192.168.20.0 255.255.255.0

daemon.err openvpn(dfki)[17360]: Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in [PUSH-OPTIONS]:5: register-dns (2.4.4)

Thanks in advance