Ookla Speedtest CLI

I've used this binary (aarch64) on an rPi 3B+ without issue...

2 Likes

I would be interested getting this officially ported into OpenWrt for compiling firmware.

• How can you port code you can't see (i.e. isn't open source)?
  • Did you contact Ookla regarding their :moneybag: :money_with_wings: source code???
  • Are you aware there are threads about people hainvg issue running speed test from most consumer-grade devices?

You may have missed this part:

From the software:

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy Notices

You may only use this Speedtest software and information generated from it for personal, non-commercial use,
through a command line interface on a personal computer. Your use of this software is subject to the End User
License Agreement, Terms of Use and Privacy Policy at these URLs:

EULA:

1. Restrictions On Use. You shall not: (a) copy the Software, except as expressly permitted herein; (b) modify, translate, adapt, or otherwise create derivative works or improvements, whether or not patentable, of the Software; (c) reverse engineer, disassemble, decompile, decode, or otherwise indirectly or directly attempt to derive or gain access to the source code of the Software or any part thereof; (d) remove, delete, alter, or obscure any trademarks or any copyright, trademark, patent, or other intellectual property or proprietary rights notices from the Software, including any copy thereof; (e) rent, lease, lend, sell, sublicense, assign, distribute, publish, transfer, or otherwise make available the Software, or any features or functionality of the Software, to any third party for any reason, including by making the Software available on a network where it is capable of being accessed by more than one device at any time; or (f) install or use the Software on any router, modem, or other non-personal computer device.

EDIT:

:warning: to be clear, that is a violation of their End User License Agreement

2 Likes

Unlikely.

There are a couple of alternatives already available.

3 Likes

The NIC.BR, the Brazilian Network Information Center is the responsible entity for DOT-BR domains and had developed a system named SIMET, a shortening in Portuguese for "Internal Traffic Measurement System". It has version for IOS, Android, Windows and a version named SIMET-BOX that was developed based on OpenWRT and is open source. You can find the project on https://github.com/simetnicbr/simetbox-openwrt-feed. They only made available compilations for half a dozen router models that are easier to be found in Brazil.
The site is https://simet.nic.br/simetbox.html, and contact e-mail is medicoes AT @simet.nic.br.

I've also used the official speedtest aarch64 binary on a Redmi AX6S and it works very well.

So it seems this binary would work for all ARM devices running OpenWrt aarch64.

root@apesc:~/tmp# wget https://install.speedtest.net/app/cli/ookla-speedtest-1.1.1-linux-aarch64.tgz
Downloading 'https://install.speedtest.net/app/cli/ookla-speedtest-1.1.1-linux-aarch64.tgz'
Connecting to 199.232.38.219:443
Writing to 'ookla-speedtest-1.1.1-linux-aarch64.tgz'
ookla-speedtest-1.1. 100% |*******************************|  1010k  0:00:00 ETA
Download completed (1035064 bytes)
root@apesc:~/tmp# tar zxvf ookla-speedtest-1.1.1-linux-aarch64.tgz
speedtest
speedtest.md
speedtest.5
root@apesc:~/tmp# ll
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root           472 Jul  4 10:02 ./
drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root           600 Jul  4 09:57 ../
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       1035064 Jul  4 10:02 ookla-speedtest-1.1.1-linux-aarch64.tgz
-rwxr-xr-x    1 10000    10000      2471896 Nov 17  2021 speedtest*
-rw-r--r--    1 10000    10000        13737 Nov 17  2021 speedtest.5
-rw-r--r--    1 10000    10000        12617 Nov 17  2021 speedtest.md
(... EULA prompt redacted ...)
root@apesc:~/tmp# ./speedtest -s 16322

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Claro net vírtua - São Paulo (id = 16322)
        ISP: Claro NET
    Latency:    31.87 ms   (19.06 ms jitter)
   Download:   258.94 Mbps (data used: 358.9 MB )
     Upload:    16.91 Mbps (data used: 16.7 MB )
Packet Loss:     0.0%
 Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/621ab72e-80cb-4167-87d9-f7d56b1cc184
root@apesc:~/tmp#
1 Like

Did you see. :point_up:

1 Like

Well, strictly speaking I installed it in an personal access point, not a router (it is running a custom build of OpenWrt without dnsmasq/dhcp/firewall). So at least in my case I am compliant with EULA: it is not a router, it is a personal device and I am using it in a non-commercial application.

BTW, on a theoretical question: is a Raspberry Pi running Ubuntu a personal computing device? I think yes. And if I configure this Ubuntu to start routing packets for my home network, is it still a personal computing device or is it now a router? My point: this EULA really needs some rewording. It is clear to me that they want to prevent it to be used on routers used by ISPs or deployed to some commercial infrastructure (but it should be OK to be used on a home personal device). Just my 2 cents.

The emphasis is "non personal computing device"

So you need to check the definition of that not just your gut feeling

1 Like

I just sent an e-mail to mailto:support@ookla.com asking this question.

1 Like

As I suspected, it is OK to run speedtest CLI on personal routers provided that they are not used for commercial purposes. Below is the question I sent to Ookla support and follows their response:

My question:

Ookla response:

1 Like

Which brings in the question whether that condition is actually legally enforceable, EULAs and friends contain a lot of legally dubious content (always biased heavily towards the issuer of the EULA) mainly intended to sow fear uncertainty and doubt. Not saying that is the case here, but just because an EULA has a specific stipulation does not necessarily mean said stipulation is valid/binding. However one should consult a lawyer not the internet and lacking specific legal advice assuming "validity" is clearly the safer approach.

Now, it appears that Ookla really only wants to avoid in eating into their own "enterprise network products portfolio", so it seems unlikely that small end-users appear on their monitor at all... especially because they will not be in a position to meaningfully differentiate repeated scheduled tests from a home router from repeated scheduled tests from a Linux device behind that same home router.

After trying to install this pakage i lost soo much space. I was at 49%. Now im at 3% free space. Why soo? After deleteing package my space stay 3% why so?!!

Also, you got this advice in the thread you started:

It is not. Sometime ago I contacted them about this. See my post:

1 Like

Given the response you received from the company, it would be great to get this added to Luci - maybe with a 'i confirm I am not using this on a commercial network' dialogue message.

3 Likes

You can run the one line script to install Ookla Speedtest CLI:
wget -qO- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kinhsman/openwrt/main/speedtest-install.sh | ash

As always before executing scripts downloaded from the internet do take an intermediary step and first read what it does... before you execute it, especially since on OpenWrt it will be executed as root.
That is not to say I have mistrust in this script or reason to believe it it anything but benign and well written, but out of principle alone, please do not run scripts without reading them first..

5 Likes

(BTW, the official Ookla speed test is a compiled binary.)

1 Like

Good point, it boils down to trust, do you trust Ookla or not?

1 Like