Only IPv4 in LAN/Wi-Fi

Hi all,

perhaps some of you read my issue regarding upgrading OpenWrt on my LinkSys EA4500. Due to wi-fi problems I followed recommendations and restored the default settings of OpenWrt 18.06.4.

After that, wi-fi worked again and I tried yesterday night to re-configure my original infrastructure. IP range is still 192.168.1.x. First of all I wanted to restore my hosts within the LAN.

I need them for two raspberry pis, one I use as my "SmartHome-Server". I only have a few sensors, for them it's not so important to work, but it's important to control my irrigation pi from this "SmartHome-Server" and since I go on vacation on Friday it would be quite good my irrigation would work again.

The problem is, that lots of devices, like the raspberry pis have IPv6 ip addresses as LUCI's Overview shows me. Some others have IPv4. I don't know, where this exactly comes from and why devices got the IPv6 and others got the IPv4.

Do you have any clue, what I can check, which further info I can provide,...?

Thanks and kind regards,

Dirk

It is not clear what is you problem exactly.
As OpenWrt operates in the dual-stack mode, you can use both IPv6 and IPv4 at the same time.
IPv6 is the preferred for modern OS provided enough connectivity that relies on the comprehensive setup of DNS, DHCP, network and firewall for both client and server side hosts.

2 Likes

Hi vgaetera,

thanks for your response.

Until my restore to default, the IPs of any device were IPv4, so I think, it comes from OpenWrt. To me it would not be an issue, if I was able to configure a hostname in LUCI also for IPv6 addresses, but when I enter the hostname, I only get IPv4 addresses for selection?!

Kind regards,

Dirk

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/base-system/dhcp_configuration#static_leases

2 Likes

Dankeschön. Das werde ich mir heute Abend/Nachmittag direkt mal anschauen.
Sorry, wrong language used. I wrote, I'll have a look at it today in the evening and try it out.

Thanks and kind regards,

Dirk

1 Like

Great, your link worked for me and now, my "smarthome" / irrigation are working again and also my IOT wifi is providing information from my photovoltaic again.
The hardest thing for me will be to set up the firewall rules again, but they can wait, until I'm back from vacation.

EDIT: As a short info: When I changed my ip range from 192.168.1.1/24 to 10.50.50.1/24 (which was before I updated) none of my devices had an IPv6 address anymore but all were reachable over their IPv4 address again.

Thanks once again and kind regards,

Dirk

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.